I have a normal menstrual cycle, but I've been experiencing a lot of breast tenderness. I took a pregnancy test just to be sure, but it came up negative. I am bipolar, and there has been a recent death in my family- so I was wondering if stress or depression could trigger breast tenderness, or if this is something I should see a doctor about?

Hi:
I am sorry to hear about the death in your family. I'm thinking that the breast tenderness could be related to your added stress. Other things to consider might be: Have you had a change in medication recently? Did you take the pregnancy test too early? Any change, especially one that is causing discomfort, is not necessarily good. Because of your bipolar condition, it's always good for you to have physical changes considered by a doctor. Have you had any other side affects that you know were related to your bipolar meds? Perhaps your doctor can share other affects that he/she is aware of that other patients with your condition have experienced. It sounds like you really keep up with your health. That's great ! Do the same thing this time. Document your experiences, i.e. time, symptoms, etc.; report them to your doctor; and then follow his/her advice. Good luck :-D