I am a 27 year old woman who is not on birth control due to interactions with epilepsy medications. My husband and I had sex while I was ovulating, but used condoms with spermicide each time. I was expecting my period about five days ago, but it hasn't shown itself yet (it is generally very reliable, even without birth control). I have cramps and breast tenderness as I normally do before my period starts, but it's never gone on this long without menses presenting. I'm going to purchase a pregnancy test tonight.

I would like to get a few opinions. Do you think my period is simply very late, and the cramping and tenderness are my regular PMS symptoms? Or do you think I might be pregnant (which would be wonderful)? Is cramping normal during early pregnancy? I'm a little bit anxious about this (don't want it to be ectopic, for example).

Thoughts?

If your period is late and usually very reliable then there is a good chance you could be pregnant. Cramping is normal during early pregnancy and is usually not a sign of any problems.
Ectopic pregnancy usually causes more severe pains on one side of the abdomen. The implantation in an ectopic pregnancy usually occurs in the ampulla (middle portion of the fallopian tube), although the embryo can implant itself anywhere along the fallopian tube and in very rare cases in the abdominal cavity itself. Women with ectopic pregnancies usually report more severe cramping on one side of the abdomen, faintness or dizziness, nausea and vomiting, sometimes heavier spotting unusual to a normal implantation and shoulder pain. These symptoms can vary from woman to woman but are considered general red flags that MAY point to an ectopic pregnancy.
I would take a home pregnancy test. If the test comes back negative and your period still doesnt arrive within a couple of days you should make an appointment with your gynecologist

Thanks. I took a test last night and it was indeed negative. I'm making an appointment with my doctor to see if we can't figure out what might be going on here. There is still a possibility that I'm pregnant, but it seems really unlikely.

Thanks again, and I'll update this when I know more.

Well, last night I started my period... I think. It is very, very light (read: atypical for me), and a week late. So we'll see what the doctor has to say, I suppose.

If you are hoping for a positive I hope you get one. my period started over a week early and only lasted a couple of days (not normal for me either) The one before that was early and only a couple of days of spotting there too. I dont know when or if to test...I have a couple of tests but I am putting off using them because I dont want the results to be negative. If I were pregnant I wouldnt be four weeks along untill the twenty fifth. We werent planning to get pregnant yet and were using condoms but when I had the first early period for a couple of days I thought I was, a test at the doctors came back negative %-) then I got the ten day early period "spotting" so I assumed that I wasnt. I dont know. :-( Me and my future hubby were both hoping I was the first time. I told him I didnt think I was when I started spotting again.

Update:

Definitely not pregnant. :-(

I was awakened by severe cramps (we're talking 8.5 - 9 on a 10 point scale of pain) at around 5:20 a.m., and my flow has been very heavy since then.

I don't know what would have caused me to be late by a week, especially when that has never happened before. I'm not stressed in the slightest, and nothing has changed in my life. I'm going to bring all of this up to my doctor.

I am a little paranoid that I may have endometriosis, for a few reasons. Sometimes I get EXTREMELY painful cramping, as described above. It can also give me diarrhea, make me vomit, or even pass out (that's probably not normal, is it?). The other thing is that my husband and I have been together for 9 years, and we haven't always been as careful as we should have. 9 years and no pregnancy? I'm a little worried that one or the other of us may be subfertile.

Sigh. Yay for paranoia.

Sorry to hear :-(

Well cramps painful enough to make you pass out doesnt sound good, I know that is a symptom of endometriosis. Diarreah isnt a symptom of endometriosis that I know of though although it can cause painful bowel movements. Diarreah would indicate some sort of infection, maybe an allergy or food intolerance. That sort of thing could definitely affect your ovulation and throw off your menstrual cycle. Diarreah paired with vomiting and nausea could also be caused by an overdose of either magnesium or vitamin C. Of course the most common causes of diarreah would be bacterial or viral infections. I would visit the doctor and explain the issue to him, he could do a pelvic exam, pelvic ultra-sound and laparoscopy if needed, if he thinks it could be endometriosis. Howerver even IF you have endometriosis, if you have a mild to moderate form of it you still would have about a 75% to 60% chance of getting pregnant if you wanted too. I wouldnt dwell on it however untill you talk to a doctor.

Heyy I noticed some of the symptoms you were having are the same Im having which are common in ovulation. Im buying a pregnancy test in a bout two weeks to see if im pregnant or not. I hope not, actually im a little to young.

But I've been having breast tenderness(it hurts alot when I push on them) and a bit of cramping.

I've never had these symptoms before and I doubt it is pregnancy, because pardon my french here...my boyfriend hasn't ejaculated in me before. Im very paranoid that this may be pregnancy. Any comments?

ok im 16 and usually my period comes two days early or right on time i have to older sisters and i dont know if our cycles are just tryin to start at all the same time but i was suppose to start the 28th of september it is now the 2 of october i am sexually active with my boyfriend but i havent had sex in a month and i am cramping and fills like im bleeding but im not my breast are a little tender but that could just be from my bra or something...i dont think im pregnant im pretty sure im not im just looking for other alternatives that it could be if i dont start by the 5th i will take a pt and let everyone know but im pretty sure im not.....i do have endametriosis and i get slight on and off cramps for 7 days before i start it has been exactly 7 days now so i should start tommorow but i might have miss counted the days i started pre cramping any answers please let me know....

I could defintiely see it being that. I think I am pg too and have looked up all the symptoms and signs and the same has happened to me. I felt like i was gonna start...cramping..light spot... and now I am about 20 days late or so. finding out soon, but good luck and congratulation.!!!

My gurl friend got her period on day 30 around noon time and she usually gets it on day 28 all the time but we had sex alot and now she got it late and its very very very light and no cramping? what does that mean? Is she pregnant??

i have not had period for 7 weeks now and i have not had sex, i dont understand what could be wrong as my breasts are very tender and im extremely late. could anyone help me? :-(

Hello - I think you may have PCOS or some sort of anovulatory issue going on. It surely is not normal and if you tested negative on a preg test, you need to go to the doctors asap because what I learned from problems of my own is that the longer you wait, the worse your issue can become...you may simply need only a slight tweak within your body, or it may need more. Either way, do not wait and wait as I did. You can take meds that help you ovulate and become regular. I hope you make an appointment soon! If you are low on money or lack insurance, you could apply for help such as medi-cal, or whatever your cities health programs are. Go now to the gyno and obgyn or fertility Dr! C.

hi. i have having some of the same symptoms like one extreamly tender brest, upper and lower stomach pain. The thing is about a month ago i had protected sex but when my bf put the condom on he put it on wrong and we were worry about pre-cum. i started these symptoms about 2 weeks ago. and the tender best about 4 days ago. I am not sure if i am prego or just fake cramps bec i am very off when it comes to my period. the last time i had my period was in june and have not had one yet. I am starting to think i might have pcos. i also feel like i am gettin bigger but idk if thats just my head playin games with me.. i have not gained weight tho. could i be prego or just pcos? thanks

Please help ?

i am 27 years old and always had a problem with my period, but latesly it is getting worse. I did not get my period for 4 months and i get heavy cramps and my breasts is very tender and i am not pregnant. i dont know what is wrong :(