In 1992 after the birth of my daughter I decided to get norplant rather than birth control pills for I was afraid of getting pregnant again. The problem is that it only last 5yrs but I had it in my arm about almost 10yrs. Could having that "Thing" in my arm so long made me infertile?

Also my husband had gotten Scarlet Fever as an adult about 4.5 yrs ago. Could getting it so late in age affect his reproduction too?

brneyedangel
Posted: 07/05/08 - 02:21 Post subject: Norplant Infertility and Scarlet Fever Infertility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you ever get an answer for this question, i've had my norplant in for 8 years now, and although i'm happy i'm not pregnant, i'm wondering if i will ever be able to become pregnant.

I received norplant at the age of 19, in 1992 after the birth of my son. It was free from medicade, however, after I experienced horrible side effects after just 2 years I had to pay about $300 to have it removed. I am now 36 and have never conceived again, even though I did not use birth control and wanted to have more children. I believe in my gut norplant caused my ovarian cysts and my inability to conceive anymore.

I also had Norplant inserted in 1992 after the birth of my second child. I left it in for 10 years. I tried for 3 years after that to have another baby with no luck. I was then told I needed a hysterectomy because of fibroid tumors. My doctor said the Norplant did not cause infertility or the tumors but I strongly believe it did.

I had norplant inserted in 1994 when my daughter was a month old. She is now 17 years old. I just got my norplant removed this past June. I have not conceived another child sense. I have an appointment with a fertility doctor in a couple of weeks. I don't know if I have a different problem, or if the norplant caused infertility. Wish me luck!

Hi ladies, Any news from your doctors?  I got the norplant in 1991 and STILL have it in my arm, 20 years later.  I couldn't see it or feel it so I decided to pass on the removal surgery.  I just assumed it would quit working after 5 years.  Now that I want to have a baby and have been without birth control for 3 years, I can't get pregnant.  I'm planning to have the norplant removed in 2012 and moving forward with possible fertility treatments afterwards.  Please let me know if you have any info that could help us.

Hi I am 42 years old now I was married and had 2 children with my husband a son in 1991 and a daughter in 1994 I also had a son previously to my marriage in 1990 all 3 healthy and my children with my husband were planned. I had the norplant in 94 right after the birth of my daughter. It was great no side affects. I had it removed in 99 and my husband and I decided to try and have another child. We tried for 2 years. We used charts and everything else doctors told us. And were never able to conceive again. We divorced in 2002 and he has since remarried and had 2 more children with his new wife. And I have had 3 serious relationships using no birthcontrol and still have never had another pregnancy. I firmly believe the norplant made me infertile.

I'm 42, got the Norplant in 1995 & have never had it removed. It cost too much & I didn't have insurance. Is it safe to never get it removed or should I get it taken out? I'm without insurance again. I've been going through perimenopause symptoms, period is all out of whack, plus all the other stuff that goes along with it. Could it be caused by the Norplant? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After having my son I also had the  norplant in 1996. I had it for 10yrs and then had it removed. I am 35 now and have been wanting another child before it is too late and have never been able to. I strongly believe this is a resault of the Norplant after reading that so many others are having the same outcome.

Well, I ended up having mine removed while I had a radical hysterectomy about a month after my post, March of this year. Although I was going through perimenopause, I also had cervical cancer. I was afraid it might have been caused by the Norplant, but it wasn't. HPV is usually the cause of cervical cancer & if only I had gotten regular paps I would've found out sooner. But, I am cancer free & intend to stay that way!

I had the Norplant inserted in 1999. 12 years later I finally got it removed. It's suppose to stop after 5years... When removed the doctor told me the implants still had birth control in them! Yes, 12 years later.

I feel as long as you have the implantion in you will never get pregnant.

Also, I recall the doctor telling me when I had ininserted (1999) that for as long as you have in in it can take that long to get pregnant. (5yrs in then add 5 yrs before you can get pregnant) just remember everyone's body is different. 

Im 32 now... I pray I haven't missed out on my chance. :( it's sad to think I may have waited to long. 

Hi, I had Norplant inserted after the birth of my twins, this was in 1991. I was 17 years old. I had it removed the following year because of reports saying it is difficult to remove after long periods of time. I also had not had a cycle for that whole year. At 17 I assumed that was the way it worked but a year later at my annual PAP my doctor advised me I should have come in. I am now 38 years old and have never been able to conceive again. I really do believe that Norplant is the cause of my infertility. I pray that someone finds out what caused this to happen. Over the years I have been told these things by doctors: nothing is wrong (just timing), your ovaries are hard to stimulate (gave me Clomid up to 200mg), you have PCOS, you DON'T have PCOS. So, I have started taking vitamins to help me ovulate as well as Vitex.  If anyone has success, please let the rest of us know. I so regret letting my mom and doctor talk me into NORPLANT!

I'm 18 and I just had mine for 2 years now, and it last 3. But I'm so scared that if I keep in that I will never have a baby when I'm older. Is there anyone that has had a baby after noraplant??!

I wanted to answer to a response will you have a child after norplant well i did i had 4 children.i had it put in around 1995 also but started to have wild syptoms no period for almost two years and extreme weight gain. Almost within two weeks i became pregnant with twins! Two years later another baby an two years later another baby! I am 33 yrs old now an my baby making days are over i hope but i to wonder what are the long term effects for this birth control. So to answer your question i am a woman who had four beautiful healthy babies after my norplant.

I had the Norplant implanted when I was 19. After some repeated  numbness and tingling in my arm, I decided to have it removed when I was about 21 or 22. I am now 38 and have never been pregnant, even after taking fertility pills and progesterone treatment. Has anybody ever found out about this topic? Is there a way we can bring it to the company and possibly be given compensation for fertility treatments or even adoption?

I see that none of these posts have seemed to be answered, but if there is anyone out there, please let me know...