Hello! I heard that a periodontal gum disease can be treated with a laser surgery, so I was wondering what the after care looks like. Has anybody done it?

Hi there! I have never heard that a periodontal gum disease can be treated with a laser surgery. I have heard only of teeth whitening laser surgery. As for periodontal gum disease…I had a flap surgery which involved lifting back the gums and removing the tartar that way. The gums were then sutured back in place so that the tissue fitted around the tooth again. But there is also a bone and tissue graft. Grafting is a way to replace or encourage new growth of bone or gum tissue destroyed by periodontitis.

Yes gum disease can be treated with a laser. I would recomend you go on youtube and search for Lanap or johnddscom. I am a dentist, I have done over 300 cases with the only FDA cleared laser procedure to reverse gum disease. Most patients tell me they have a 2 on a 1-10 pain scale.

I am a representative in the Northern California bay area for Millennium Dental Technologies. I can vouch for the reply by "difabio" as I have many dentists in my territory who are no longer cutting people open. LANAP (Laser Assisted New Attachement Procedure) is far beyond the old "cut and sew" procedure. The nature of the laser allows the light to pass through health tissue and only attack the disease so there is no need to cut and sew. Imagine having the procedure and actually killing the disease without cutting anything. The pain, if any at all, can be treated with OTC pain releavers and the healing lasts 33 months and longer in some cases. We are talking 50% pocket reduction, bone regeneration and true attachment at the root surface. Best of all, unlike the old method, the patient doesn't have to have it re-done every few years and they can talk and chew the very next day.

Don't take my word for it, go to:

http://www.reutershealth.com/archive/2008/01/22/eline/links/20080122elin003.html

http://www.millenniumdental.com/

This is quickly becoming the new standard of care for Periodontal disease and any doctor who does not present this treatment option to their patients is doing them a tremendous disservice.

I had LANAP May 19, 2008.
I am THRILLED! I was told by our local periodontist that he would pull all but 5 of my upper teeth, that I had 6-9 pockets and needed implants.
I went for a second opinion after researching LANAP.
Dr. Christy in Fremont, CA. Wonderful. He spent alot of time during my consult, I scheduled and am very hopeful and releived.
The worst pain were the shots and the evening after the novacaine wore off. Motrin every 3-4 horus. Next day Motrin twice. Next day nothing.
Now, the worst part is not being able to brush my teeth!
SO glad I went for a second opinion!
AG
Soquel, CA

I had LANAP May 19, 2008.
I am THRILLED! I was told by our local periodontist that he would pull all bu 5 of my upper teeth, that I had 6-9 pockets and needed implants.
SO glad I went for a second opinion!
AG
Soquel, CA

AG -
I can't seem to find Dr. Christy (that you mentioned in your posting) in Fremont, CA. Can you tell me where his office is located? Can't find it anywhere online...
- Curious