Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (LADA). According to my doctor I'm producing practically no insulin. I will be on lantus once-daily in the evening and apparently shots of novorapid for 3 meals a day. This is such a new diagnosis for me and I think the novorapid will be a problem for me. I happen to be a vegan so I don't have 3 meals a day. As you can see I eat a very healthy diet and it has really kept me healthy all these years. I have no way that I can eat 3 meals a day. Essentially I eat on and off all day. Could this med regime actually work for me. Does anyone know and can you advise please? Thanks.

Hello, I don't see why your doctor's recommendation wouldn't work. I think you can tweak to meet your needs. The lantus should supply you for 24 hours. This will keep working in the background whether you eat something or not. So, I don't see a problem there. The novorapid is a fast-acting insulin that has a shorter activity period which will cover your meals when you BG rises. The only thing is that you will be eating small amounts often so you want to be careful about stacking. I think novorapid works for anywhere between 4 to 6 hours. Somehow you'll need to figure out how to fit in the dosages for more than 3 meals. You probably have to decrease your dose each meal you have. That's certainly doable but it will take some trial and error to get it down pat.

The only thing you may have to be aware of is the stacking effect of taking several injections in a relatively short period of time. NovoRapid has a activity span of 4-6 hours I think, so you'd need to be careful of injecting again. You'll need to reduce the dosage of subsequent injections. This will definitely take some trial and error on your part until you find what works for you. You'll need to be patient, but I think it can work.