Hi, I am a twenty years old girl. I enjoy drinking milk all the time. The problems started a month ago. At first I did not pay much of attention to it but now they are really bothering me. I have gases that have placed me in embarrassing situations more than once. Sometimes I have unbearable stomach pains. The doctor told me that I am lactose intolerant. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, milk and dairy products contain sugar called lactose. Normally, it is metabolized in sugars that our body can digest and turn into energy. This is done by enzyme called lactase. Sometimes it could happen that lactase is not produced sufficiently. As a result you become lactose intolerant. However, in most of the cases you do not need to give up on milk and dairy products. Reducing them in your nutrition will probably give the desired results. Of course you will have to continue visiting your doctor. He will determine the degree of your lactose intolerance and suggest the proper diet.

Hello there,
I used to drink milk daily with meals, but as I reached the age of 12, I began having stomach pains very frequently, gas, and diaheria (sp?). My doctor first recommended a "food diary" to log everything I ate for a week, then advised I avoid all dairy products to see if that had an effect on my condition. Turns out, I somehow became lactose intolerant.

I tried all of the lactose pills before my meals so I could hopefully continue to drink milk, unfortunately nothing worked for me. I solved the problem by avoiding milk and dairy.

6 years later, I'm now 18, I've learned how to live with my condition and what I can "get away with" eating. I've switched to soy milk, which is lactose free. Some soy milk is nasty in my opinion, but I LOVE my 8th Continent vanilla soy milk. You can buy it at WalMart usually, not TOO expensive. I cook with it too.

Not to say that you'll have the same results, but through trial and error, I've found that I CAN have dairy products (yogurt, ice cream, cheese, etc) as long as it's not on an empty stomach. If I eat a full meal for dinner, I can eat a ice cream afterward. My theory is that since the milk is such a minority compared to all the other food in my stomach, it mixes in and my body doesn't notice. ;-)

However, I've found that I still have to be careful eating things that have a very high milk content, such as cottage cheese, and soft-serve ice cream.

The "milk stomach aches" are terrible, absolutely crippling, with sharp pains, as I'm sure you've come to find out. =/ But, you don't have to let this condition completely run your life. If you're willing to experiment and do some trial and error, you'll learn how to manipulate your diet so you can still eat everything you want to. :-) Good luck!

I love milk and used to drink a big glass of it at least 3 or 4 times a day, until about 5 years ago.
I discovered that a problem could be in the works when i started to drink carnation instant breakfast. I hate "food" in the morning so i tried the liquid breakfast. A few days went by and i started to get crampy and bloated, i didn't pay attention to the fact that i hadn't gone to the bathroom for a few days, (#2 :$ )anyways i continued to drink the milk and when i woke up one morning i looked like i was about 6 months pregnant. Holy bloated. The cramps about killed me and i had to sit on the toilet for what seemed like hours. I felt very pukey, crampy, dizzy, sweaty and just plain miserable. Finially i was able to go but it was like having a kid out the other end and the pains were sort of like labor pains. I stopped the instant breakfast and stopped milk all together. Within a few days things were begining to get back to normal.
I still drink milk but not every day. I like a bowl of cereal at night and have discovered a product called Silk. It's a soy milk but when you put it in Honey Nut Cheerios, you can't tell so much. I can't drink it straight up, yuck.