Hi. I`m 31 yo F. I suffer from pancreatitis pain and was diagnosed with pancreatic inflammation. But, now (a few months later) my doc is suspecting that I have so called sphincter of oddy dysfunction and I would like to hear more about that disease. What is the relation between pancreatic inflammation and oddi dysfunction?

Hi. My sister has SOD too and I have learned that the muscular sphincter of oddi is situated in the upper intestine at the location where the pancreatic and bile ducts enter. The sphincter functions as a one-way valve, but when the it malfunctions, it doesn`t allow proper drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts. In other words, a sphincter that surrounds the duct block off the pancreatic duct. So, it builds up a pressure in the ducts, leading to recurrent episodes of pancreatitis, for example. My sister was treated with a Puestow procedure, because her pancreatic duct has become dilated.

I am a 33 yr old mother of 4 who had bouts of pancreatitis since I gave birth to my first child, had gallbladder removed, no benefit. No attacks while pregnant, just every few months in-between prgnancies...ended up going to Mayo clinic and having ERCP and sphincterotomy done, FINALLY pain free for 10 months!!!! It was worth all of the hassle !