I have been in the hospital 8 times for acute pancreatitis and with help from my doctor "bit the bullet at home" (as he would put it) many times. Now I have mild attacks constantly. After much research and reading the
Steady Health.com and also seeing my doctor on a regular basis, I have found some pain control through diet. Low fat, no caffine, no dairy, no red based sauces and no carbination. There is alot of conflict on hi protein or low protein. In one week I stopped my chicken and fish (of any kind) my two biggest meat subs. because they are very high in protien. I ate apples and tangerines (I found on sale) and then checked anything else for protein content. I have been pretty much pain free.

I read in some abscure little paragraph that protein produces the enzyme that cauces pancreatic pain.

But you have to have protein. Aren't you on enzymes, Pancrelipase? Eating raw or barely cooked (softened) vegetables with protein can help you digest the protein. Whole foods in their natural state come with everything you need to digest that food except flesh (meat, chicken, fish). The trick is breaking down the target food so you can absorb the nutrients. With pancreatitis it is important to eat the healthiest foods in their natural state so you don't become malnurished. It hurts to eat large amounts, thus the healthiest are needed. Papaya, pineapple and mango have natural enzymes which break down a variety of foods. The apples and tangerines that you ate do that also. If your pancreas can still regulate your blood sugar they may help. Ask your doctor. No fat!!! It's hard but worth it. Fat digestion is the main reason your pancreas starts working and secretes enzymes. Some people can tolerate a small amount of fat. There are a lot of nonfat dressings and dairy now. Meals should still taste good.
Lemon juice on fish, mango salsa with salmon, yams, sweet potatoes (dark orange), blueberries, broccoli, brown rice with wheat berries, steel cut whole oats for oatmeal. Yum! These are some of the best foods. Ellie Kreiger on Food Network cooks pretty healthy. I just have to scrutinze the ingredients for pancreatic safety so my sweet pea can eat tasty meals. Half of his pancreas died and had to be removed. I almost lost him. He never gave up protein. After 6 months on a strict diet he can now eat foods that would suprise you. I'm getting to be a pretty good amataur nutritionist. I am an amataur so ask your doctor or have him recommend a dietition. Maybe you need an antiacid when you eat red sauces. Maybe the red sauce is prepared with a lot of olive oil, aka fat. Pasta and marinara sauce is fat free and sweet pea can eat it.
Hang in there! You can do it. No fat for now. Take enzymes.

I will be 70 in August and was diagnosed last week with chronic pancretitis. I have been suffering for years with ab pain ever since I had acute pancreatitis in 1986 after a sphyncter of oddi surgery. I was hospitalized for three months on a high dose of antibiotics and had to have a drain for six months. I had my gall bladder out in 1983 Since November of 2008 I became worse. I had nausea and pain. I have been able to only eat very small meals and mostly fat free and have lost 30 pounds. It was suggested to me by the surgeon I saw last week that I could have the lower lobe of my pancreas removed and it might help. I have researched and have not found much in the way of positive. I am willing to fight this and try to stay healthy as I can, but need any help I can get.

Your post has been a great help. Last summer, I drove to Birmingham, AL (3 hours from my home) for a specialized test on my sphincter of oddi. During the test, the doctors noticed my pancreatic duct was abnormally shaped and attempted to install a stent. The duct was too small so they aborted after several attempts. They then moved to the sphincter (directly adjacent to the pancreas) to conduct their test. They found the opening too narrow to measure the pressure and "shaved" the sphincter opening. Four days later, I was admitted to an E.R. in my hometown. I had a 105 degree temp and severe abdominal pain. For two weeks I was treated with IV antibiotics, a drain was inserted via my back, and a PIC line was installed. As I continued to decline, the surgeon handling my case said that I needed two pints of blood and had to have abdominal surgery immediately. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and peritonitis. Evidently an abscess had formed, burst, and quickly spread everywhere. The surgery was a success, but I had to remain in the hospital another two weeks. The following month, I had to continue IV antibiotics at home using a home healthcare service. I lost 35 pounds in six weeks. No one mentioned anything about diet to me, so the dawn is just now breaking regarding my diet. I am now well acquainted with chronic pancreatitis. Your post was the most helpful one I've found regarding diet. Thanks so much for taking the time to inform those who need to know. Jane

TRY....Fresh Whole Pineapple. I have a friend who suffered for years 8 years. Eat some fresh whole pineapple and he NO LONGER has this problem with his Pancreas. Let me know if this works for you ,So Easy to do eating some fresh Pineapple. It is a Miracle for him . Good Luck Hope this information helps you and Others God Bless You Jackie M Concord NH .

Try Fresh Pineapple....My friend had this problem for years He is better now , He eat some fresh pineapple and Feels Great , Give it a try Hope it works for you also God Bless Jackie M Concord NH

Have you Tried Fresh Whole Pineapple,,,, Not in a CAN , My friend has NOT had a problem ever since he ate some fresh Pineapple It has been a Miracle for him , Give it a try Hope it can help you also Good Bless Jackie M Concord NH

TRY FRESH WHOLE PINEPPLE...for issues with Pancreatitis problems My friend had this for years , And he NO LONGER has a problem EATING fresh Pineapple was A REAL miracle for him It may help others give it a try Hope it works for you ,,,,ALSO A LOW FAT DIET IS A MUST GOD BLESS Jackie M in NH