My husband, who has coronary artery disease, had his gallbladder moved two and a half, maybe three weeks ago. He's has gas and cramping since; but today he's having the same exact pain he had BEFORE the surgery. They've ruled out his heart; what would make the pain return? The surgeon insists he "did everything right and Alan should not be in pain." Why would gallbladder pain return after the gallbladder is removed?

It is not the gallbladder pain since the gallbladder is gone but it sure feels like it. Patients who have their gallbladder removed often start suffering from the Sphincter Oddi dysfunction. This sphincter is situated at the place where the pancreatic and bile ducts enter. When the sphincter doesn’t work properly, there isn’t adequate drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts. What happens next is that the bile starts building up in the ducts, causing pancreatic inflammation and biliary pain that resemble gallstones attacks.

Your husband should be evaluated to see what exactly the problem may be.

If his doctors do suspect Sphincter Oddi dysfunction, you need to make sure that he is being checked by a specialist, gastroenterologist who has endoscopic experience in diagnosing and treating this disorder because complications could occur.

A few times in the years following the removal of my gallbladder I had attacks, gallstone attacks (there can be no forgetting those!) and the doctors wanted to cut the Sphincter of Oddi... concluding after several ER viists--and denial by them--that I refused. I'm glad I did, as it was the last attack I ever had.

Conclusion, I had small sandy gallstones, a few must have already been in the bile duct when the orthoscopic surgery took place. Seems perfectly obvious now and so logical, just surprised the medical profession was so keen to look for other reasons or to find a more harsh solution than was necessary. It's been 3 years since my last attack... and what a woozie it was.

I now eat normally and sometimes worse. What used to really set me off was avocado.... fatty and a food with one of the highest amounts of magnesium. Magnesium relaxes the muscles(the bile duct is a muscle-Epsom salts are largely comprised of magnesium, hence such a bath puts people to sleep) and then the bile in the liver is triggered by the avocado's fat content, there's then a rush of bile, pushing on any last stones, creating an attack.

Probably 5 of my attacks before and after had been started by avocado. So, yeah, patience anyone with those attacks. I wouldn't advocate surgery on the bile duct unless you've explored all your options. Eventually all the stones, pebbles, sand, will pass. I would advocate a natural cure, at least trying it. I was too chicken but sometimes wish I had.

I had gallbladder surgery in September of thid year and I too am still having pain. I had mine done by ERCP and had adhesions from previous surgery for a perforated ulcer in 1988. So my gallbladder was stuck to my small intestines & my pancreas. Then I had bile leaking & bleeding, so they had to go back in & put stents in and one stent got stuck in the pancreas and is still there (never was suppose to go there). I thought that was why I was still having pain. They said it is ok for it to stay in there. They have made several attempts to get it out- each time causing acute pancreatitis and a 4 day hospital stay.