I had my gall bladder removed just over 3 months ago and since then the pain just under my ribs on the right hand side has been excruciating and getting worse. I'm on morphine every day and that really doesn't stop the pain, just dulls in enough for me to try and get about and have a slight bit of a life. It feels like someone is constantly stabbing me with a sword! Nothing seems to bring on the pain as I'm living with it 24/7. Although I'm trying to eat normally my weight is not going up and in fact I seem to be losing weight again

It took them over a month to diagnose what was up with me before they realised it was gallstones - I was throwing up non stop and dropped below 7 stone (losing nearly 8lbs in one week) and to start all they gave me was Anti-emetics. Finally I was taken in for emergency surgery when they discovered the stones and realised my weight was getting dangerously low. Straight after the op I was told they had caused a major bleed and that my temperature had dropped well below 30 - yet in the letter to my GP it said there were no complications? After the op (I was sent home the day after) I then got a chest infection and put the pain I felt just under my ribs down to that. However it carried on getting worse and worse. My GP started me on Co-Codamol, then with Tramadol til I was on those, plus diclafenac and 200mg of morphine each day!

I've seen one consultant since my op who just brushed my pain under the carpet and didn't tell me why I was in this pain. All he told me was that they do 800 ops of this kind a year and see one case like mine every 4-5 years and then referred me to the pain clinic - he did no tests other than an ultrasound. When I had that done the lady who did it told me there was a lot of fluid where my gall bladder was but the consultant told me there was no fluid?!?!?! I'm due to see another consultant on Thursday so I'm hoping that he might have some answers for me.

I can't keep living in this much pain and on this amount of medication yet no one seems willing to find out the cause, just keep trying to patch me up! Has anyone any ideas as to what might be causing or suggestions of what he could test because I'd love to go to my appointment armed with some ideas in case he just tries to dismiss me. HELP!!!!!!! :-(

Have you tried talking to your doctor or the doctors at the hospital who treated you? Although pain after surgery is normal, if it's so excruciating like that, talk to a doctor. They're the only ones who can say what's going on with you because it could be a variety of things.

Oh yes I've been talking to them til I'm blue in the face. My GP's the one who's been referring me to the consultants - in our area they've stopped doing follow ups after the operations so had to be referred to see someone.

I'm hoping that this new consultant will be more interested in what's wrong with me rather than just dismissing me and my pain!

It's very unfortunate that they seem to be ignoring you.

I would demand to get an x-ray and/or ultrasound. It sounds like there may be more than just post-op pain. Perhaps a look inside would explain it.

I hesitate to tell you to go somewhere else because surgery is a delicate matter and doctors don't really like to treat post-surgery patients. They often always refer them to the surgeon. However, if you feel this is necessary, demand care. Sometimes a strong personality is needed in this kind of situation.

I had my surgery Jan. 1st and have been in pain 2 weeks after surgery until present. My upper right quadrant swells (where my gall bladder used to be) the pain is tolerable at time and awful by bedtime. They had me on percicet but now put me done to hydrocodone. They also sent me to a pain clinic and I am less then thrilled with the results. They have already done CT scan and hytoscan and found nothing. Now I will go for and MRI this week. They are determined I have a back problem. My back is fine, only hurts because I am forced to sleep on it (and I hate sleeping on my back) Logic tells me, if the front area where my gall bladder is hurts to the touch, swells as the pain increases, then the real problem is probably in my front, not my back. But maybe I'm crazy.

I am thinking I'm crazy though the way doctors treat you with this problem. They don't want to listen to the real symptoms, they just want to fit you into their diagnosis it seems. They put me on Lyrica assume that the burning and shooting pains where from nerve damage, that makes sense and those symptoms have stopped since I started it. But my swelling and pain where my GB was is still there leading me to believe there is another problem. I'm so sick of going to doctor after doctor. They really make you fight to find a cure for this.

How is it that so many of us have these issues and no doctors will take it seriously?

I have had excruciating pain since my gallbladder was removed 7 days ago.

It is a burning stabbing constant pain under my right ribs all the way thru to my back.

I had a CT Scan and blood work...both showed nothing...

My doctor told me I would have to ride this pain out...It seems to get worse in the evening....I can not sleep at night...The pain is unbearable.

Has anyone else had this and gotten better?? Have you taken anything that works for it?

It sounds to me as though you might have a case of pancreatitis. This can easily happen after GB removal, and causes the pancrease to flare up, the pain from pancreatitis can be un-bearable, here is how I explain the pain from it having it 13 times in 2 1/2 years I know a little about it anyway. The pain is generally located just below the sternum on the chest off to the right or left sids under the rib cage, mind you most of my pancreatic attacks have had the pain more so on the left side under the rib cage and right in the center below the sternum, note though the pancrease lays horizontially from left to right, also keep in mind on the right side where you are describing your pin that is also where the liver is at. I move to recommend a blood draw and lab tests to run an Amalyse, and Lipase panel. as well as a liver enzyme count. Get this done right away, you should have results the same day, this will tell alot of the story for sure. I control my pain with oxycontin and dilaudid. I am on this because too high or too much of Acetaminophen can upset the liver and cause pain. I hope this post has helped you answer your question(s).

I had the same thing after sitting in the hospital for 3 days they rushed me back in to the OR. I had a small leak. I would tell the DR you want a nuk-med test done to make sure there is no Fluid there me CT and x-rays showed no fluid but the Nuk- med test showed it. I would say about 24 hours after I felt so much better.

I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery 2 years ago.
The pain never went away and only got worse.
Had 2 exploratory surgeries that made things even worse.
Now I have a diagnosis:
It is either Cecal Bascule (cecum flips up on itself) or Cecal Volvulus (cecum and right intestine twised).
It took me 2 long years of pain to finally be directed to a Colo-Rectal Surgeon.
If one is prone to a MOBILE CECUM, abdominal surgeries can cause these nightmarish conditions.

My advice - see a Colo-rectal Surgeon ASAP to rule out these possible problems. They will not go away with time or drugs - only specialized surgery will help.

NO ONE and NO WEBSITE ever mentions this problem - you must know what it is before you can find out more about it, and it's more common than anyone realizes. Google these conditions and see if they are you.

I now have some hope I might get my life back and can stop thinking of suicide.

Good Luck.

my husband is having the same problems. he has lost over 40 pounds since july. he had his gallbladder removed and was treated for h-pylori. his pain keeps getting worse. he can't keep any foods or liquids down. he is having more test done this week and next. what could be making him hurt so badly and sick all the time?

I to have been in SEVERE pain after my gallbladder was removed. I was in the emergency room 2 days afterwards. My doctor thought I was crazy and refused to take a second look. I knew something was wrong. Finally they hospitalized me and sent me to Baylor in Dallas. I had an ERCP and found my bile duct was not draining properly & was backing up into my liver which was 7 times what it was supposed to be. He cut my bile duct open and also told me I had an abdormality in my ducts, (Spchinter of the Oddi Dysfunction or SOD) He said my ducts open when they are supposed to be closed, vise versa. He did not check mamometry(pressures of the ducts) because I was a high risk for developing Pancreatitis. I was pain free for about 2 months, then wham it hit me again, I have had EGD's, colonoscopy, Barium Series, CT's, Liver and Pancreas MRCP, Ultrasounds, and my last procedure a week ago; Celiac Nerve Block which was supposed to deaden the nerves, but I am still in severe pain(stabbing like a sword in me through to my back and down into my stomach) I am on 1200 mg of Gabapentin, Acid Blocker, Tramadol and Bentyl. My GI doctor at Baylor told me to take Yoga, okay 8-| I am also very deperate. I even had a doctor ask me was I just doing this to lose 10 more lbs? The nerve!!! I don't know what the next step is for me. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to walk through, God's grace is sufficient,,,He will see us through!!!

, Mar 27, 2006 12:00AM
One consideration would be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. This is a condition that can occur in those without a gallbladder.

Typically, Sphincter of Oddi manometry done in conjunction with an ERCP would be needed for diagnosis. If present, surgery or endoscopic procedures can be done to correct this. The disease you are describing is known as sphincter of oddi dysfunction (SOD). The sphincter of oddi is situated in the upper intestine, or duodenum, at the site where the pancreatic and bile ducts enter. Normally, this sphincter functions as a one-way valve to allow bile and pancreatic secretions to enter the bowel, while preventing the contents of the bowel from backing up into these ducts.
When the sphincter malfunctions, it becomes overly tight and does not allow adequate drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts. The result is a pressure build-up in the ducts, leading to recurrent episodes of pancreatitis or biliary pain mimicking gallstone disease.

Hey,
I'm 20 and had gallbadder surgery this past summer. Two days later I was back in the hospital. My doctor says that sometimes they miss stones and they stay and block bile. This can cause the stomach to be upset and prevent anything from staying down. If your vomit is bright yellow after not eatting, that usually shows to be just stomach acid. They just gave me pain killers and as soon as my blood work came back normal I was sent home. I constantly have pain after eatting anything dairy or consuming hard to digest foods. Also, alchol causes a pure assult of pain and sends stabbing pains to the area where my gallbladder was. Could this be liver related? I would assume the liver needs to work overtime creating bile to make up for the lack of gallbladder. Just some thoughts.

Sarah why don't you tell them to check to see if a gallstone has lodged in your liver. They said one can escape and lodge in t he liver.

Morphine can cause a spasm of the sphincter of oddi causing pain very similar to a gall bladder attack. The spasm occurs often in those who have gall bladder removal. I know this thread is old, but maybe this info could be useful to someone out there! As I understand it, continued spasms can cause damage to the sphincter. If you're being treated for pain with morphine, talk to your doc about switching to oxycodone or something in that family.