Hi, I'm a little confused. I have had problems with pancreatitis since 2005. From reading a lot of letters from fellow pancreatitis sufferers, it is sounding like I don't have chronic pancreatitis. I think this because all the other people said that their pain never goes away. They always have pain or they get pain after they eat and that they have to take painkillers every day for their pain. This is not the case with me. I don't have pain everyday. I have had 5 severe pancreatic attacks which landed me in the hospital. My pancreas was damaged in 2005 after having an ERCP to remove a gallsone that was stuck in the duct. Each time I end up in the hospital, my lipase levels are always over 20,000. I understood from someone else's letter that you can have a pancreatic attack when your lipase levels are as low as 800. I have been taking Cotazym E.C.S. 8 enzymes since 2006. I take 6 pills with every meal. So which is it? Have I had 5 acute pancreatitis attacks or do I have chronic pancreatitis?

I don't have much info on it as I am newly diagnosed, but my Doctor explained to me that you can have Chronic Pancreatitis or Recurring Acute Pancreatitis, yours sounds like the Recurring type. Hope that helps. :-)

Hi

I suffer from CP and have for nearly a year now taken capsules of enzymes (made from pig's pancreas) to help me digest my food, because the pancrease is not working its enzymes are not reaching my stomach to digest my food, so the food goes straight through and the body gets no nutrients and therefore you loose weight.

I have yet to find someone on the net that is taking these enzymes? They are called Creon and are available internationally (i live in South Africa)

I have had my problem for four years now but the last 5 months have been the most painful! Almost everyday i have pain. I am told it is now a matter of pain management as the pancreas will not get better - the enzymes that should be going into the stomach remain in the panceas and eat the pancreas away!

i have read on the net that "life expectancy is reduced" to 7 years after the initial attack - how true this is i dont know but if it is a terminal disease i have about 2-1/2 years of life left. However, when the pain is really bad i cant believe i have to go through this for that long a period.

I would like to discuss with other suffers what they eat and drink and cope with the pain - i currently use Mybulen but i have stronger medicine should it get really bad.

Regards

Les

I was diagnosed with CP last year after a year of acute attacks every 3 or so weeks. I also had a massive pancreatic pseudocyst which got infected, scarred my lungs and stomach, and needed surgery to drain it. I have heard of others taking Creon and I myself take another type of enzyme supplement. I have managed to almost return to health and I live symptom free most of the time. The biggest thing I've learnt about pancreatitis sounds pretty lame.... we're all different. One of us may swear by one kind of treatment while another tried it with no luck. The best thing I can tell anyone is research...... and find out what is offered out there. If your quality of life is bringing you down, try something else. IT'S SCARY. Once you have pancreatitis (never mind repeatedly), YOU NEVER WANT TO FEEL THAT PAIN AGAIN but sometimes the only way to feel better is to try something else. I'm a big fan of alternative medicine and I know that stress plays a huge factor in anyone with a chronic condition. In addition to enzymes I take homeopathic anti-inflammatories as pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. Good luck to everyone out there!!!

Check out sphincter of oddi i had same issues gluten causes high levels and pancteatitis

I was just hospitalized with pancreatic enzymes over 20000. I opted for gallbladder surgery because I have never experienced such pain in my life...( I gave birth with no medication to a 10 lb baby that got stuck during delivery as well as have broken my back and undergone a 5 hr spinal surgery so i doI know pain). My levels were 11000 after overnight IV antibiotics. After surgery, my levels were under 300 and though there is some mild pain at surgical sites and a little aching inside, controlled w Tylenol, it was definitely the right choice for me. I had previous attacks, bad but never like the last. I urge you to consider discuss this option with your doctor! I wish you well.

I’ve had pancreatitis since a month after I had my gallbladder removed in 2012. They found I have Pancreatic divism. My pancreas was damaged after attacks. I take Creon before each meal to help digest my food. Personally, the Keto diet works best for me since mow I’m diabetic. It is High fat, moderate Protein and very low carb. Carbohydrates raise your triglycerides, which is bad for the pancreas and diabetes. Check with your doctor to see if it’s right for you. Many good cookbooks. Tons of recipes on Pinterest. I found many delicious recipes that taste great