I had my gall bladder out in September 2005, after my third pregnancy. Gall stone pain is horrendous, and I would have done anything to get rid of the pain once and for all. I didn't consider any options. Just get it out!
I had been experiencing intermittent right side abdominal pain since then, but nothing too severe until May 2007.
The gall stone attacks had returned! At least the same pain, but seemed impossible because the gb was gone. How could this be?
I, too, have had many tests. The sphincter of oddi dysfunction has been mentioned, but the test (just the test) presents a 10-20 % risk of pancreatitis, and I am not messing with anything involving my pancreas. The sphincter of oddi regulates the bile production through the ducts. If it is dysfunctional, it could be due to a "tightening or narrowing" of the sphincter. the only way to know is to conduct the test. The remedy is to snip the sphincter to widen the opening. It is unknown if this is a condition resulting from the cholecystectomy or pre-existing.
It's always a good idea to follow a low-fat high fiber diet, according to my GI, but even then, that may not be the only answer. I tend to eat well, and haven't found the "triggers" for the attacks, as I think I'm on the brink of one currently. Most days it's a slow burning sensation in the area where the gb was. Uncomfortable, but I can get by. My bm's aren't horrible, I guess the fiber helps.
I would like to know who has had success with diet AND/OR who has actually found a doctor who listens and hopes to find a solution to the chronic pain or potential attacks.

I have gone throught the SAME thing you did, it sounds like! I am a 33 yr old mother of 4 and started having attacks after my first child was born...had a bad bout of pancreatitis first when she was 1 year and they removed my gallbladder. Had attacks every few months for the last 7 years, in between pregnancies, while pregnant felt pretty good! ANyway, finally they suspected SOD and I went to Mayo clinic and had an ERCP and sphincterotomy and have been attack free and pain free for 10 ,months now. I did end up with pretty horrible pancreatitis from the procedure, but it was well worth it since the attacks for those years were damaging to my pancreas I had to get something done. I hope I can help you in some way!!! hang in there, it really got me depressed when i would get sick!!!