Im a 24 year old female and have been suffering from attacks on pain in the abdomin which is nearly always localised to the left upper quadrant. I have been having 2-3 attacks a weeks happening since may. then pain always seems to come on in the middle of the night and can last up to 6 hours but it is now getting progresively worse and i am vomitting with it. I am at the A & E about once every two weeks having to get IV pain relief. I had an ultrasound which confirmed gall stones. The doctors are reluctant to take out my gallbladder and the typical pain is on the right where as mine is on the left. What other causes could it be? I want something done so i can get on with my life

Health Advisor
Gallstones can often obstruct bile ducts as well as pancreatic ducts and cause inflammation of the pancreas. The pain that comes from pancreatitis is in the upper left abdomen. Pancreatitis is hard to diagnose and it is often missed during physical examination and different scanning exams may be needed.

The pain is usually present for a few days and may radiate to the back, behind breast bone and nausea and vomiting may occur as well. Some patients even develop fever.

Besides pancreatitis that could be related to gallstones, pain in the upper left quadrant could be caused by ulcers in the stomach, gastritis, esophagitis, splenic disease, so your doctors should address some of the other GI issues and rule them out.

I also had a pain/vomiting in same area. I just completed a gallbladder cleanse, that flushed out my gallbladder 40 stones came out. Some the size of peas. DONT LET THEM REMOVE YOUR GALLBLADDER. Its not necessary. You can alway flush them out, with proper instruction. Even though my pain was i the left i associated the vomiting w/gallbladder!!Do not eat fatty food this will bring on an attack if it is your gallbladder. Hope this helps.