I just had my gallbladder removed Friday, November 12, 2010. I had not had stones but had been experiencing extreme pain on my right side for a couple of months that became so bad I could not even walk. After two days in the hospital and bloodwork, ultrasound, EKG, and HIDA scan it was suggested that my gallbladder be removed. I agreed to the removal. My surgeon said that he was 90% sure it would aleviate my pain. He also told me after the surgery, based on a photo of the procedure, that there may be an issue with my common bile duct that we will discuss at my first post-op appointment next week. On Wednesday the pain started to return and by Thursday was as bad as the pain that sent me to the ER. I called the surgeon's office and was told to wait until next week during my visit. I called my primary care doctor and he suggested an x-ray of my back. After reading all of these posts I will wait until next week. I hope that I am only going to have this pain short term and not long term like most of you.

Hi there! I read that this problem of yours is quite common after Gallbladder removal. You should visit a gastroenterologist to get a full evaluation, to determine what is causing your pain. Additional tests (such as blood tests, a CT scan, ultrasound, or even endoscopy) may be needed to make the correct diagnosis - then the proper therapy can be prescribed. The gallbladder is just one component of the bile duct system that drains the liver. Stones can also occur, or pass into the other bile ducts, and the sphincter (valve) that regulates bile flow into the intestinal tract can also be too tight. Any of these problems can cause pain that is indistinguishable from gallbladder pain. Finally, there are other diseases that can occur after gallbladder surgery that are unrelated to the surgery and that can lead to right-sided pain. These include rib or chest wall inflammation, peptic ulcer disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and others. I also hope that you're only going to have this pain short term.

This can also be caused by pancreatitis which can be cause from the gallbladder being bad. I know this because that is what mine did. You need to have them check the enzymes that cause pancreatitis cause it can kill you if not treated.