I had my gallbladder removed two years ago, and I'm still getting attacks! They aren't quite as bad as the attacks I had before my surgery, but they're still extremely painful and incapacitating. What can I do about this?

Health Advisor
They are not the gallbladder attacks since the gallbladder is removed but you should address a doctor for this matter. There are a few possible things that could be causing your pain. It could be that you have stones in the bile duct but I suppose that doctors would have spotted them.
It could happen that your liver is so stressed with a lot of work it has to do and that large quantities of fats are causing this discomfort.
You could have also developed Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It occurs when the sphincter that is situated in the upper intestine does not work properly and allows foods to back up into the pancreatic and biliary ducts. This happens often to people who had thei gallbladders removed. The pain that occurs from the pressure in these ducts resembles the pain of gallbladder attacks.
Try eating foods you ate when you were avoiding gallbladder attacks-low fat foods, and no fried foods to see if anything changes.

I to had my gall bladder removed (Feb 2006) I had to be readmitted into the hospital the day after my surgery for nausea and vomiting I was dehydrated, had to have iv and potassium my blood pressure was so high I could feel my heart beating against my bed. They told me I would feel 100% better wrong. Oh yea took me 4 hours after anyone could see me I was sick in recovery. Just before I went home they gave me coffee cream of chicken soup tapoica pudding. Just smelling food make me sick. I still don't feel good. Still have pains on my right side and above the belly button all the way up. After the surgery I would wake up around 5:00 am with very bad pain. It still hurts to certain foods. I called the surgeon and told him that I still was hurting he just said I don't know why. I just wish this pain would go away.

I to had my gall bladder removed (Feb. 2006) I had to be readmitted into the hospital the next day. It took 4 hours after surgery in recovery for anyone to see me. They told them I was sick after surgery. They then gave me a meal of cream of chicken soup coffee and tapioca pudding. Thought I would be ok. That evening I started vomiting and was nausea. The next day the doctor told me to go to the emergency around 6:00 pm. the hospital did not take me right in they were so busy they forget the doctor called them. I finally was seen at ll:00 p.m. vomiting every l5 minutes. they admitted me into the hospital had iv in me and potassium. Also my blood pressure was so high and I have low blood pressure. I could feel my heart beat as I was laying in the bed. I slept alot and vomited for 3 days. They sent me home and my blood pressure was still high. I would wake up around 5:00 am in the morning with bad pains like I was having a gall bladder attack but no gall bladder. It took me a month to get back to work. I called the surgeon he said I don't know what it is. I still have pain on the right side and especially above my belly button clear up. I thought I would be better. They said I would feel l00% better wrong! I just hope that I don't have to live the rest of my life like this. It seems that if I don't eat then I feel better but when I eat it hurts. Everyday it hurts. Won't I ever be normal again? Anyone out there have this problem to? Can u help?

I had my gall bladder removed in oct of 2000 and have been treated for sphincter of oddi dysfunction in jan of 2001 but still suffer from pain. I am admitted to the hospital two times a year with severe pain and my digestive tract is rested with only iv fluids (no food by mouth) for 7 to 10 days. No one seems to know whats wrong. The pain is so bad i cannot wear a bra and at this point so many foods trigger severe pain that i stop eating for long periods of time. Food is the biggest trigger and I have gotten worse as time has passed. I am a 40 year old mother of 3 that lives a pretty difficult life with this problem. No one seems to be able to figure out why I am suffering so much since the sphincter of oddi problem developed and was hospitalized twice for a month after the initial ERCP (I've had 5!). I am struggling to have a normal life, but living with pain and being on morphine for 5 years has weighed heavily on me. Is there any relief out there for this?

After years of suffering I am completely cured. I urge everyone to go to sensiblehealth.com and read through the site. Order the Chinese Butters and Coptis and take exactly as instructed. Give it some time and persevere. I have no connection with this business. They saved my life!

I too am experiencing the same pains that others here have described. I have been having back pain after eating ever since my 2nd child was born in 6/2002. I has gotten extremely worse over the last year and I have been actively seeking a solution. My gallbladder was removed in 1/07, and since then the pain has gotten even worse, and an additional pain located under my rib cage has been added. I also am woken up around 4:30-5:00 almost every morning with severe pain under my rib cage, that can last up to 3 hours!!! I'm a married mother of two children (4 & 10) and this is causing an unbelieveable strain on all of us. I'm afraid to eat - I've lost 20 lbs. since having my gallbladder removed 2 months ago (which isn't necessary a bad thing, but isn't the right way to lose it either).

I am certainly no stranger to doctors and pain, and have used marijuana for radiation and chemo treatments two times in my 35 years. When someone asked me a few weeks ago if I had tried it for this pain, I decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. Low and behold, I found something that has at least helped ease the pain, and helps to relax the back muscles quickly without keeping me drugged up and tired the whole day. I've worked myself off the narcotics, and am now actively seeking a way that I can get this same type of relief legally. The bad thing is I'm going to have to move to a different state if I want it to be prescribed..... Plus, I yelled at one of the physiatrists here three years ago (for continually blowing me off every time I asked to be worked off narcotics, and actually increasing my dosage on two different occassions when I was wanting it to be lowered!!!) anyway, they won't see me in that office now - even though that doctor isn't there anymore. So, since that is the only pain management place here, I don't know where I'm going to have to go to find help.

Two nights ago I think I found what is wrong with me, and probably many of you also. I am convinced I have sphincter of oddi dysfunction. It is a muscle that spasms (hence the tight muscle feeling) and can also resemble a gallbladder attack, oxycodon can actually make it worse (gee, why haven't the pain killers that I've been drugged up on helped??). PLUS, the reason that the marijuana does help, is because the sphincter of oddi is a smooth muscle and therefore drugs that help to relax smooth muscle tissue will help ease the pain. The bad thing about this is that doctors think that this condition is so rare that they don't believe you. I've already talked to one this morning and was completely blown off. I'm going to talk to another one this afternoon and we'll see what he has to say. Personally I don't think this is as rare as they want to believe. I know 3 other people having the same problem as me, and I live in a town of about 900 people!! All have had their gallbladders removed, and between the 4 of us, I think we have had every test of every kind there can possibly be for "stomach pain" - even though none of it is really in our stomach - and nothing has been found for any of us!! Unfortunately, one girl has gone so far as to have a partial hysterectomy and is still having the same problems after eating.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. But it's also discouraging that nobody seems to be able to get any clear answers. I can only pray that my attacks get to where it only happens a couple times a year, and not every day. I'm completely miserable. This is worse than the treatments for cancer ever were. During those times, all I wanted to do was fight, and now all I want to do is give up. If it weren't for my kids, I would.

Theres a support website for sphincter of oddi if you are interested at all feel fre to contact me for the site

month after the initial ERCP (I've had 5!). I am struggling to have a normal life, but living with pain and being on morphine for 5 years has weighed heavily on me. Is there any relief out there for this?

I had my gallbladder out 1 week ago. Im finally weening myself off drugs and eating again, but I'm still having gallbladder attacks! Indegestion and airbubbles for hours, just like before. I have had all tests possible and found nothing. My actual gallbladder had stones, diseased, and my small intestines attached itself to it. Doctor said I should feel all better, but I feel the same. Nausea all the time, with air bubbles or "indegestion" coming up. Can anyone help?

A considertion may be lactose intolerance. Try limiting your dairy intake or using LactAid. These attacks can produce gas that will feel like a gall bladder attack.

joie_de_livre wrote:

I have the same problems
the only relief I have is having my husband rubbing the sides of my back or putting pressure in certain areas of my back. Try this next time and see if it helps!

I'm glad I ran across this posting. I can't believe how common this really is - and I'm wondering if the medical community simply needs to start funding more research to get this issue resolved!
I had my gallbladder removed in 1999 and still have pain on the right side, just to the side and under my rib cage, below my breast bone. Most times it occurs after eating. Also, approx. 2x/year I get a gallbladder type of attack, where I double over in pain, cold sweat, and literally cry. It lasts for approx. 30 minutes, with peak pain 10 minutes into it.
I'm a bit shocked at how many people continue to live with this, including myself. I've been to doctors about this to no avail. no answers. no surprise. I'm finally going one more time, and this time I plan to be VERY DIRECT with this Dr.
I'm at the point where I need to demand answers. It's just plain ridiculous that more doctors are not aware of this and putting more effort in addressing this. The least they can do is document and release all findings with relevant and helpful information to the public about it.
For now, those of us who have this problem, must speak up to their doctors, and demand answers. Otherwise you'll just get sent home again, to just deal with it.

Guest wrote:

I would love to go this website. I am not sure what is going on with me. I have been fine for 3 years but all of a sudden my upper right sided pain is back and I have also been feeling nauseous after eating. Thank you

I had my gallbladder out in Feb 07 and I still get sick every time I eat. It doesn't matter what I eat- there is no pattern. I get nauseated after eating pretty much anything. I had an xray of my small intestine with the barium swallow, I had an upper gi, and blood taken to see if its celiac or crones disease. They have all come back normal. Could this be the sphincter of oddi dysfunction? I am really at my wits end here- getting sick all the time is no fun as most of you know. I have a follow up with my dr after all these tests next week and I wonder if I should mention the sphincter of oddi thing. Its weird because I don't feel much pain- just terrible nausea. I swear I am popping pepto bismol like theres no tomorrow and that can't be good either. I also take phenergran when its really bad but I am almost out of that. I had that when I had my gallbladder problems in the beginning.

WELL AFTER READING ALOT OF POSTS HERE I AM WILL DESCRIBE THIS TO ALL AS IT HAPPENED TO ME.

4 YEARS AFTER MY GALLBALDDER WAS REMOVED I GOT A SUDDEN ATTACK WHILE DRIVING,IT WAS A SEVERE ATTACK-I SWEATED LIKE IF SOMEONE HAD HOSE ME DOWN/SHARP PAIN TO MY CHEST.I WAS REALLY SCARED I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK.

WELL TO MAKE THE STORY SHORT.

IT TOOK DOCTORS FOR MONTHS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS
MY LIVER WAS NOT FLUSHHING(IT WAS BACKED UP BECAUSE THERE IS A BILE DUCT THAT IS SUPPOSE TO SHOOT OUT BILE LIQUID OR SOMETHING TO DIGEST FOOD AND IT WAS CLOGGED.MY DOCTOR SAID IT SOMETIMES HAPPENS TO PEOPLE THAT HAD THEIR GALLBLADDER REMOVED.WELL THE DID SURGERY FOR THIS BY STICKING SOME TUBES DOWN MY MOUTH AND THEY DID A CUT AT THE END OF THE DUCT LIKE THIS + LIKE A PLUS SIGN TO LET THE LIQUID FLOW.THE PAIN I WAS GETTING WAS LIKE A MUSCLE SEVERE SPASM AND MY LIVER AREA FELT A LITTLE WARM AND BLOTTED.NOTE I DID NOT GET JAUNDICE OR ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS.HOWEVER THE DAY I GOT THE ATTACK WHILE DRIVING I HAD EATEN A FEAST OF FOODS SUCH AS CHOCOLATES,STONE CRABS,RED WINE,TUNA STEAK.I BELEIVE FOOD TRIGGER ATTACKS.MY BAD FOODS LIST IS MILK,CHOCOLATE,RED WINE,MAYO,EGGS, AND ANY FRIED FOODS.I AM NOW IN TO EATING ORGANIC FOOD THAT DONT HAVE CHEMICALS THAT MY LIVER HAS TO WORK HARDER & STRY TO STAY AWAY FROM MEDICINES IN ANY FORM UNLESS ITS A MUST.IN CONLUSION CHECK YOUR PANCREA ENZYMES LEVEL IF THEY ARE HIGH YOU MIGHT HAVE YOUR LIVER NOT WORKING PROPERLY BECAUSE OF SOME BLOCKAGE