what's your opinion on taking ciprofloxacn for a UTI? I had a hip replacement last year and I hear the this medicine could cause tendon raptures, does this happen often, is it safe to take??

Celebrity
My daughter has had this medication quite a lot because of UTIs. Iv not heard of this side affect.
She is a teenager tho an i guess still young for tendons to rupture.

Can you give anymore details on your knowledge of this. i would be interested for future for my daughter. Thanks

Celebrity
My daughter needs to take antibiotics constantly (1a day) to protect her kidneys. Ciprofloxcin is a very good tablet an gets rid of infections very quick. I asked the specialist if she could take them long term. He wouldnt let her.

I wonder if what your saying was the reason why?

The reason he said was if she got another really bad infection they would need to use this tablet an if she took it long term she could become immune to it.

I wonder!!!!!!

The number of reports of Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) causing ruptured tendons continue to rise. Even for sometime after the drug has been discontinued. If you must take these drugs, it is recommended that you be extremely cautious about exercise. Furthermore, notify your doctor if you experience any type of pain or swelling after taking the drug.

Can you believe it, in immature dogs, Cipro caused lameness from permanent cartilage lesions and joint destruction. It is difficult to place your finger on the exact pathological method Cipro causes tendon rupture, but it may have something to do with the immune system attacking the body’s own cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage, as in Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), another condition Cipro is known to cause.

The Food And Drug Administration is pusing the manufactures to include a blackbox warning on the drug, nonetheless, Cipro is remains, primarily the drug of choice for Urinary Tract Infections (UTI's).

REFERENCE(S):

1.Earl L. Mindell, RPh, PhD with Virginia Hopkins, MA, 2003. Fluoroquinolones. Bottom Line's Prescription Alternative, p. 288.

2.Harvey Simon, M.D. [Ed.], 2006. Urinary Tract Infections. University of Maryland Center, umm.edu/cgi-bin/printpage.cgi

3. The Fluoroquinolones Syndrome Website, 2008. FQ Research Web Pages. FQ Research Foundation, fqresearch.org/.