Hi! My sister has a serious urinary tract infection. Her doctor prescribed to her a medicament called Omnicef. When I had UTI I was taking some other kind of antibiotics. I’ve never heard that somebody treat UTI with Omnicef. Does anybody know something more about usage Omnicef for treating UTI? Thanks!

Well, you need to know that different group of antibiotics use for different kind of urinary infections. Omnicef is not so common for UTI but I also used it when I had UTI last year. Omnicef belong to antibiotics known as cephalosporins and they are use as alternatives for infections that do not respond to standard treatments.

Hi there,

Like aeriel already said sometimes you need some other medication (in this case antibiotic) because your body is not responding to the treatment with the standard one (such as Bactrim). Once I was prescribed Omnicef for UTI and I was surprised so I asked my doctor why this sudden change and he said that he thinks that I am not reacting well on Bactrim so he wanted to see if this is going to be any better. And actually it was.

Now I have much less problems with UTI and sincerely I hope it will remain like this. After the therapy comes to its end check with your sister how is she feeling and if this medication helped better than usual ones.  

There are many types of cranberry extract, caps, concentrates etc. that may help you. Or just drink cranberry juice, adding capsules of slippery elm bark is also good. This my help to prevent your infections. Cranberry has a quality that keeps the bacteria from adhering to the lining of the urinary tract.

My dr prescribed omnicef because the Cipro that's commonly prescribed makes me sick.

A Doctor explained the action of cranberry in the urinary tract in a very easy comprehendable way. He said we drink the cranberry which is molecules. As the molecules pass through the urinary tract the bacteria that are present will bind with the cranberry molecule and ride out of the body through the urine. This is why it is a natural antibiotic. It doesn't stop the formation or destroy the bacteria, but the cranberry molecules are a transport for the bacteria out of the body by way of urine.

Never take Cipro. Its paralyzing people.

not true at all; sheesh

It can rupture tendons. Haven't heard anything about paralyzation

Funny I run in to that here, because that is exactly what happened to me and it was the most frightening experience!! It started with my arms and almost was not able to lift them enough to even drive- then it traveled down to my legs. I read it can effect you breathing and some people end up having to be intubated because of that. It also said those side effects cant always be reversed. Scariest experience ever