Hello! I have urinary tract infection. My friend told me that I should to treat this infection with cranberry. She said that she read somewhere that cranberry juice is very helpful. I know that cranberry is healthy but I am not sure that it is appropriate choice for treating urinary tract. What do you think about this? Thank you in advance!

Hello! Well, I can tell you that you should not take just cranberry for treating urinary tract infection. Actually, cranberry is great for prevention urinary tract infection. It is recommended to drink cranberry juice. But, if you have urinary tract infection, you need to take prescribed medication and you can drink cranberry juice or take cranberry pills.

Hello roze, 

Your friend is somewhat right: cranberry juice will help you to get rid of some of the symptoms of urinary tract infection, but it definitely will not absolutely cure it. Even though cranberry does have some antibiotic properties, they alone are not enough to completely treat the infection and, as in most cases, you will need a doctor to prescribe you antibiotic treatment to treat the UTI until its completely cured. 

But, definitely, if you have frequent urinary tract infections, cranberry juice will help you to fight the infection before it begins. For these purposes, you definitely might have more benefits from the supplement than just the juice, but during the infection outbreak the cranberry juice is better because it helps to flush out the bacteria from your body.