Hi Everyone. I am 24 yrs old and was just diagnosed with a mild hip dysplasia in both sides. I have more pain in my right hip however. Does anyone else have this condition and if so, how are you coping. Any information would be helpful! Thanks.

I am 35 and have been diagnosed with congential hip dysplasia. Geez, they took x-rays and want to give me hip replacements saying that my hips are in "pretty bad shape". I have decided to put off surgery as long as possible. I found a cortisone injection into the actual hip joint itself to be very helpful although I have read online where other people disagree. Too many cortisone injections can soften the bone. I take Glucosamine Chondroitin daily, drink green tea and have increased my fiber intake. Swimming is good for me although the after effects are stiffening. I just take Naproxen 500 mg twice a day (this is basically Aleve). The clicking is annoying and hurts but I cant imagine a hip replacement yet. I think the best advise is to think positive! Wish I could be of more help.

hey im 15 and i seem to have the same thing as you guys do.
i have had problems with my hips for about 1 year but kept putting off going to the doctors im actually going this week but want to get a bit of an idea of wot i have. do you have like a click in you hip joint in every step you take?, and does you hip ache even when you are doin nothin?
thanks xx

Hi All,
I'm a 51 year old female. Just had surgery 6 weeks ago. The "tumor" was removed and I had a DHS inserted (dynamic hip screw). I was diagnosed when I was in my teens with (hole in the bone) defect. It was very painful at that point in my life but they only offered total hip surgery. My mom being a nurse said "no". We will wait until she is older. The pain over the years had subsided and to come to find out...my hip kept fracturing, I didn't know that but it would repair itself during the night, I would wake up the next day and feel fine!? Strange I know...What I actually had is called Fibrocartilagnous dysplasia, fiber and cartilage. Just in the past year it started acting up again, I would be walking and it felt like it was broken (my hip joint) and I decided to finally have it repaired. I wasn't getting any younger and my bone density in the hip area is only 50%. I'm getting better every day...still on one crutch but back to work part-time and feeling positive about the whole experience. I wish you luck on your choice. So far so good for me.

Hi, I'm a 26 female and I also just got diagnosed with hip dysplasia as well in both hips. I do have a history of a dislocation on my right hip which is the one that gives me the most trouble. All I was told was to exercise and stretch a lot to strengthen the muscle and take Naproxen. Which to me is absolutely no help. It still hurts to sit, walk, and even sleep. Is there anything else I can do to take away the pain or should I get a second opinion?

Hi, Im a 19 year old female and was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at birth. I have had four major reconstructive surgeries. I cannot imagine where I would be now without them. The arthritis that comes with this deformity is very crippling, and has become so bad that my hip and knee joints are cloudedd in xrays. Even though I have had my reconstructive surgeries, I will be required to have total hip replacements later in life. The best thing to realize with this deformity is that you have complete control of the situation. I have hip dysplasia, but it does not have me. I don't let it hold me back from doing anything. The pain I have is unbearable, but the best and safest medication is a strong dose of Ibuprofen...due to the inflammation, and narcotics are very easily abused in painful situations such as this. I cope by thinking that at least I have the ability to walk, which is osmething many people take for granted. I see it as if this is the worst thing that can happen to me, I think I'm doing alright. I have also found at night a pillow between my legs can really help me sleep when I feel like someone has a jackhammer to my hip joints. Most generally the right hip is the worst if both hips are displaced..just so ya know. Most of my pain lies in my right hip also, but both hips are displaced. Hope I could help! Any Questions or Comments email me at ***

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

Hi, I am a 33yr old who has congenital hip displasia and have had over 7 major surgeries to allow me to walk with only a slight limp. I can understand the pain as it is consistent. I am lucky enough that I have had the pain since birth thus I am able to work for about 10-15 minutes pain free before needing to stop and start. I will also require a hip replacement. At first they said by 25, then 30, now we are trying to make it to 40. I recommended keeping your weight down and using it!. My Orthopedic Surgeon recommended light exercise and this seems to work. I am currently trying to get pregnant and have been told that I am in for a rough ride due to my pelvis and hip joints. If anyone has some advise for me that would be great

i was 21 when i finally decided to break down and have a bi-lateral ostiectomy preformed by the pioneer of bio generative surgery in the us Dr. jeffery mast after years of constant dislocations and losing the ability of freely walking the surgery worked great i can walk but after the surgery i have noticed that i have developed si joint dysfunction now have dibilating pain but can walk still has anyone else experienced this rather painful side affect from their surgeries? i have had 4 surgeries on my hips and a spinal fusion L5-s1 i am great full for the surgeries but am now looking of a lifetime of surgeries to correct the affects of "fixing my hips" i recommend a surgical option if you have been taken out of normal function but keep taps on the other ill affects of a major surgery

I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in my left hip at age 31 including a labral tear which manifests itself as ITB. Prior to this I was running and attending aerobics classes. I am now pregnant and wonder if there will be any complications resulting from my dysplasia. I have benefited from regular chiropractic care, with the pain going away completely for three days after a treatment. My orthopedic said that with surgery I would be prone to early arthritis on my left hip and said I would definitely need a hip replacement in 20-30 years or earlier.

Hi!
I am a 30 year old female diagnosed with hip dysplasia just after birth. I have have several reconstructive operations on both hips and major pain all my life. Nevertheless, I have been an athlete, enduring the pain but wanting to continue living life!

I am currently 8.5 months pregnant and wanted to let you know that things haven't been so bad. It has been rough at times, especially because you cannot take ibuprofen, but I have been using arnica and chiropractic to get through. Also, I have kept my weight gain steady and at the minimal end of things and continuing to do strength building exercises throughout. You will need to be ready to take care of yourself as never before to get through some of the painful moments but it will be worth it!

I'm worried about the birth but have a total hip replacement planned for later in the year.

Hope this helps...

Best,
Sarah

Hi, I am a 30 year old female and have just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia.I am waiting for a surgical review and really worried as i have seen my mom go through hip surgery in her fifties due to this problem.My symptoms seem to have started following the birth of my daughter who is 11 months old.I have groin pain and clunking sound on movement.Im frightened of what the future holds as im still young.Do you think they will do surgery and how did you feel about your diagnosis?

Thanks Victoria x

I am 35 and was diagnosed at 31 with bi-lateral hip dysplasia. At the time my xrays did not show any arthritis, but I was having more and more pain. My doctor ordered an MRI on my right hip (most painful) and a cortisone injection. The injection did not help much which led us to believe I did not yet have arthritis/inflammation and the MRI showed a torn labrum. I was referred to Dr. Byrd in Nashville for arthroscopic surgery and he performed labral repairs on both sides (4 months apart). It's been a long recovery (8 weeks on crutches after each surgery), but I do feel that it's been an improvement in the pain levels. I can expect to need hip replacements down the road, but since my hips are still in good shape the hip arthroscopy was to provide some relief until the arthritis sets in - which hopefully will be a long time from now!

I'm also diagnosed with congenital hip dysplasia.

I've seen many doctors and only one that has givin me some hope:
-He recommend I lose a few pounds because the lighter I am the less weight on my hips.
-He told me to built major glutes and thigh muscles because those muscles hold the hips together and the stronger they are the more support I have from my muscles since I'm lacking from my skeletal structure.
-Only swimming and biking because its easier on my hips.
-also pilates because it helps me stretch thouse muscles.

Its chronic pain. and its not easy to deal with since I'm only 23 and I'm very active. This doctor promised me that he would take me into my 50's or beyond without surgeries. I cant reverse the effect but I can try to strengthen the muscles around and that should relieve most of my pain. If I'm going to party I take a couple advil. I try not to wear high heels too much or flats. For me whats harder is the possiblity of me not being able to carry a child. I want to have a baby but right now its not possible. If I continue strengthening I will be able to. I hope this has been of some help. I didnt realize this is actually more common than I thought. Hope all is better and dont lose hope of living a normal life. =)

I am 34. I was diagnosed Congenital Hip Dysplasia (mild one) when I was 17. I was able to run, jump etc. and did not look any different from other kids. When I was in college, I usualy has pains after sports activities. I am not a very active person (no regular sports activities or excercises). My hip pain is getting worse as I grew older. It is becoming everyday pain. I leap sometimes because of pain. BTW, I have two children. One is 7 and the other is 1. I have to say, my first child did not give me any trouble during pregnancy but when I had my second one I had really bad back pain. After he was born I think my hip condition got worse. With two active boys at home, I started feel my everyday life getting difficult because of my bad hip. I just feel that I can not run or jump with my kids which makes me sad. Anyway, I don't think that if you have hip dysplasia, you can not have children. Well, of course you should check with your doctors based on your condition.
I have seen few doctors. I also consulted a doctor about surgery options but it turned out I am not a good candidate for osteotomy because of my arthritis developed on my hip. I am just hoping that my bad hip still can last another 20 years. I am considered a skinny lady so I dont' think I will lose another 20 lbs to have less weight on my hips.
Anyway, i don't look any different from others. If I don't tell, nobody would notice that I sometime leap. I wear sneakers most of the time now because high heel makes me stressfull and sored hips. However, I occassionally wear them. I don't take Advils. I am just a tough person on pains. I am avoiding long trips. If I have to I will take some Advils (BTW, i don't think it works well for me). I have got advices from a doctor:
1. Keep warm and keep away from moisure
2. Avoid fell or twist
3. Do some swimming and biking excercise (avoid excercise on hard surface - like running or jumping)
I am glad I found the post that I can talk here. Wish you all luck too!

I am 31 with bilateral dysplasia. Hip replacement is not the only option! Look up 'Hip Universe' online, and the 'hipwomen' group on yahoo. Your condition may warrant a PAO, or periacetabular osteotomy, to correct the dysplasia and prolong the life of your own hip. Good luck!