Hi. Im only 13, and my period started 5 months ago in February. Since then I've only gotton about 3 periods. From my first time to my second, I think it was earlier. And from my second to my third, I think it was like 3 weeks late. But since then, I havent gotton another period. Which is like a month or two? I know that in the first year you start your period, its irregular. But Im not sure HOW irregular it can get. And Im also pretty pestimistic. So I always think of the worst case senario. I did some research, and every time I typed up 'late period' in google, the answers always include pregnancy. So thats what I keep thinking of and its freaking me out. But obviously, Ive never had sex. So I try to tell myself I'm not pregnant cause theres no possible way, but I always think of the worst. So I need some reassurance. Can someone explain why my period is late? And could you not use big fancy medical words, because being only 13, I dont understand alot o_o

Hi hon: Actually it can take over a year for you to become regular, it might even stop for a couple of months then all of a sudden you'll be sitting in class and WHAM it happens!! I will tell you what I've told MANY othe girls on here - with the exact same issue - ALWAYS carry protection with you (a couple of pads that are in their own wrappers) JUST in case they sneak up on you. This IS TOTALLY NORMAL hon! and pretty soon you will wish that you could remain irregular ;-) XD JK!! The reason is this, once you hit puberty - around 12 - 16 your brain and ovaries have to transfer messages correctly. Your ovaries send signals to your brain and visa versa telling each other it's time, but a lot of times (when you are in the beginning stages) one of them FORGETS to send the message to the other for them to release progesteron for you to ovulate (release the egg) and then for your body to realize that the egg hasn't been fertilized (pregnancy) so it will start a period - which is the shedding of the lining of your uterus!

Think of it like this - you start a job, the boss tells you to send a memo every month on July 13th to say "Dear Mrs. O. Vary, you need to release the funds from July 14th to July 19th, Sincerely Mr. B. Rain" And you also have to get a memo from Mrs. Ovary to send to Mr. Brain that reads "Dear Mr. B. Rain, thankyou for letting me know about the funds, I just need your signature on or about July 12 or 13th, thanking you in advance Mrs O. Vary" But then because you are NEW you forget either one of the memos or both of them. So Mr. B.Rain doesn't sign the documents to release the funds, thus Mrs. O. Vary doesn't release the funds because she doesn't get the signatures"

You get told off for forgetting, but this takes about 6 months for you to totally get in sync with the whole thing. Does this make sense to you!? Actually I like this I think I'm going to copy it and send it to other girls your age with the same question!!!! ;-) XD If you think about how MUCH stuff your body has to do continually 24/7 every second of the day, something they only have to do once a month is BOUND to get missed from time to time right? Just like watching a baby walk, they start walking then all of a sudden theyd rop to their knees and crawl, like the just forgot what they learnt.

I hope all of this makes sense to you and makes you feel better, and at least now you will be able to be a good secretary when you're in high school!!!!! LOL XD ;-) :-D

I'm usually on here, so if you have any questions just ask OK? Good luck hon! Also one more thing, when you stress out about things or ARE stressed, your period will be late or irregular too, our bodies are very fine tuned so they will not be able to take allt he stress sometimes and just shut down whats really not needed right now - such as your period!! So relax and it will come OK?

Bambi is totally right! The first few times you menstruate you will not be regular. I can tell you that even when you are regular, you won't be regular! If you get stressed or antsy or something you can actually skip a period without being pregnant. Having a period doesn't mean that you're not pregnant, and skipping a period doesn't mean that you are, actually! Some women menstruate through their entire pregnancy, although rarely. Just get familiar with the symptoms of pregnancy and you won't be as worried. You have to have a lot of the symptoms of pregnancy PLUS have to ahave actually had sex that was unprotected before you even need to worry. Does this help?

i have i question i started my period in september,had them regulally untilll i had two in may, then that was it, nothing, blank, it's now july, i have no stress, nothing, is this any different because i am 15 an have had way more than 3 periods

Yes its the same UNLESS you have been having unprotected sex!! But if you have never had sex, then you will be fine. IT can take up till your about 18 to sort itself out and even then you will find well into your adult years that you get these little blips here and there. Like 2 periods in one month, a REALLY heavy period then nothing. That is why I always say God IS a Man!!!! ;-) XD So don't worry - unless the chance of pregnancy thats all. Good luck and health hon!

Thanks thats really helpfull, and just to clarify i am still 100% virgin, and i hope this topic is usefull to others :-D