Hi gals

Well im now 25 days late for my period, usually quite regular. Not taking any form of contraception.

I have taking hpt's at home which where all negative. I went to see my gynaecologist yesterday who took a urine pregnancy test which again showed negative. He has given me Norethisterone to take for a week which should bring on my period. I left thinking well if the Doctor says negative then it must be right but I am now reluctant to take the tablets as I have now had brown spotting today and wondering what if I actually am pregnant?

Why didnt the Doctor take a blood test, surely thats more acurate and the urine test he did is only as sensitive as the ones we buy from the shops?

Would appreciate anyones advice on this?

Whats the brown spotting for?

xxx

Hi hon: I to wouldn't take the pills! I think the brown spotting could be your period finally coming on. The HPT are VERY reliable, actually if yout ake one at home and tell the doctors they don't even question it. So since you are 25 days late, the tests would DEFINITELY show up by now.

So if you are usually regular, this could be just a blip! Women from time to time get wonky periods, either 2 or 3 in one month, really heavy, really light or nothing!! Who knows why, it could be stress or REALLY REALLY wanting to be pregnant. Since you don't take contraception I would think that you are trying to become pregnant right? So when you are in that state, it is a very stressful time and this could be a HUGE reason why you are late.

Would you mind giving me a little more information about yourself? I need to know how old you are? RU and your partner trying to get pregnant and for how long? ALSO if you really don't mind answering this, have you and your partner been checked out for STD's? Also do you have any pain in your pelvis - such as ovaries etc.?

I can help you put the pieces of the puzzle together! It can be either a wonky period, a sign of ovarian cysts, and I doubt it but you never can tell - an STD!

So like I stated don't take the pills, and lets see what else it can be 1st OK? Good luck and health

Thanks your your advice, well Im 21. Me and my partner arent actively trying but I am not currently on the pill at the moment as My dctor took me off a few months ago to try and help reduce the amount of discharge I have. We dont always wear condoms but if I was to get pregnant we would both be happy but not too sad if i wasn't.

We have been together for 5 years, and been tested a few times for stds. I also see my gynaecologist quite often so no problems whatsoever with me.

Havent had any brown spotting today but still no period! Still not taking the pills! xx

Ok! It doesn't sound like you are overly stressed about it, so we can rule that and the STD's out. So it leaves 2 probabilities that you ARE pregnant and somethings a miss with your HPT levels OR there is something going on with your ovaries. I would suspect that it is your ovaries. For now, is there anyway of you asking your doctor to do a pelvic ultrasound - BEFORE you take the pills? I am not a great believer in taking something without getting to the bottom of the root cause. The way I see it is this, IF it is your ovaries and they are cystic, then you shouldn't be taking a pill with lots of estrogen in them. So see if your doctor will do that for you and let me know OK? Good luck and health!

Now 28 days late so guess I have completely missed this period.
Well I have been pregnant before 2 years ago I ended up having a miscarriage. I am a bit of a hypocondriact so have been seeing my gynaecologist every couple months since. Had various scans and smears done but never had any problems.

I guess Ill just have to wait and see if it comes, now 28 days late, brown discharge on Saturday but havent had it since.

I have just managed to squeeze in a doctors appointment in my lunch break so will be getting some advice from him in an hour. Hopefully he provides some answers.

Something in the back of my mind just tells me that I am pregnant. I keep have sharp pains around my abdomen when I cough and sneeze and also have bad heartburn.

We'll soon find out. fingers crossed.

Well just got back to work from the Doctors and we did another pregnancy test which was POSTIVE! So what I thought was right!
He has booked me an appointment with the hospital for Wednesday to have a scan and blood test.

Just hope all goes well and hope the discharge is nothing to worry about.

The discharge that you had was likely implantation spotting so I think that you should be just fine either way. I'm glad to hear that you are pregnant (and hopefully that's wha tyou wanted right? :)) so good luck to you and let us know how everything goes when you get back from the hospital on WEdnesday. Congratulations and let us know how you're doing and keep us updated on everything. Thanks!

Thanks healthnfitness guy! I did wonder about implantation spotting but thought it was abit late. The doctor guessed that i should be about 7/8 weeks pregnant but I thought that implantation bleeding happened alot sooner say 4 weeks pregnant.

It was what I wanted but I didnt want to get my hopes up too much. Ill update on Wednesday! xx

I am SO happy for you!! There must have been something really wonky with those tests you did!!! So anyway CONGRATULATIONS! Discharges happen a LOT when your pregnant, I don't think it was implantation especially you being 7/8 weeks pregnant!!!! XD 8-| I just had a thought of the embryo swimming around and then going "OOPS gotta get on the platform!!!" ;-) Thank GOD you listened to your intuition and ME ;-) And didn't take those pills heh!!!? Good for you for questioning it. Like I said before I'm not a believer in just popping a pill without getting to the bottom of it. So anyway GREAT NEWS - take your folic acid and vitamins and let us know how it goes OK?!!!

Thanks Bambi27! I am really really pleased :-D I am slightly annoyed at the fact that the Doctor would just happily give you pills to make your period start when he didnt even what to find out the cause of it - well only by a simple urine test which I had done at home.

Oh well at least i didnt take them thought eh. I have my appointment tomorrow to hope all goes well. Ill keep you updated.xx

Wow, yeah, really lucky that you didn't take those pills then! Bambi is always right, I just thought you should know that.

In any case, I hope that your appointment goes well and keep us updated although you're pretty dang good at that already!

Hi all

Just come back from my Hospital appointment, taken blood test to check my hcg levels and will find out those on Friday. I also had my scan which shows all is well and I am 8/9 weeks and everything looks fine! Just have to look after myself now as I had a miscarriage last time at 13 weeks. and I deffinately do not want that to happen again.

Thanks all for your advice xxxxx

I am so pleased for you! Just because you had a miscarriage before hon, does NOT mean you will have one again. I do understand you being worried though. So your 4 weeks away from finishing your 1st trimester!!!!! XD XD XD YEAH!!!!! You've been so busy with all of these worries and dealing with doctors etc, that you've missed most of the problems!! Like upchucking etc. So great news on that front. Remember to take your vitamins, and just enjoy being a mom!!!!! Did you get to see your little blob?!!!!! :-) My girlfriend used to call her baby different names for different stages, Joe - embryo, Bob - the blob, Cletus!!!!!! - the fetus!!! It was funny! So once again I am SO pleased for you! And let me know on Friday OK?

Thanks health n fitness guy - I will always update as I have read so many topics where you never hear how the rest of the story goes and I perhaps spend too much time on the internet at work instead of actually working.

Thanks too Bambi, when I miscarried before I was already getting pains at 7 weeks and bleeding and i havent had either of that so far so should be ok :-) Yea i got to see the screen, i got abit emotional though because of last time I saw that screen I miscarried, but got to look at the postive now! I have been quite lucky on the sympotms side, i only really have a bit of heartburn which lead to sickness and for the last couple days I have woken up with hiccups which is annoying. Is that something to do with pregnancy?

xxx