Hi, my father is 63, and has a kidney cancer. Fortunately, it has not spread, and he will have radical nephrectomy the day after tomorrow. I am worried about him, because I’m afraid of the surgeries. Did anyone recover after radical nephrectomy? I would also like to know about pain management after the surgery. Thanks

Hi, I had radical nephrectomy after I was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year. I am well, and I hope I will be in the future, but it’s still early to know what will happen. They removed my kidney along with the fat, adrenal gland, lymph nodes and Gerota’s fascia. The pain was severe after the radical nephrectomy, and I had to use OxyContin. It is one of the strongest medications for pain control that can be taken orally. It helped me as much as it was posible. It is even more effective in combination with aspirin or paracetamol. There are some more pain managements, but this one worked for me just fine. Don’t worry too much, it is best for your father to have the radical nephrectomy as soon as possible.

Right Nephrectomy 5/12. Horizontal incision under my rib cage. Much more pain than I expected. Went home on the eve of the day after surgery. Morphine was great in the hospital, Vicodin on the 2nd day after surg (at home), but very grateful for my grown nurse daughter, who helped me move around. Have been using only tylenol since then, but a lot of discomfort when standing, lesser when sitting. Lyiing flat is the most comfortable, but severely inhibits my activities. I AM getting better every day, but as of 5/29, I'm still quite limited & still taking tylenol almost every 4 hours except when sleeping. Looking forward to getting rid of this pain! Doc says it may last 3-4 wks.

Hello Heath... I hope your father is doing well... I am a 60 year old female and I had an open radical right nephrectomy 6 months ago.  I still have pain but I am doing OK... I still take regular pain meds every day... some days are much better than others.    Please be aware that if anyone is taking oxycontin , it is a highly addictive opiate.   It does relieve the pain quickly tho. 

I wish only you and yours only the best...

I had partial neuphrectomy 5/12/15. Was quite numb on my whole right side for months. I still have stabbing pain every day. It feels like a ball of stickers inside and the surface is sore. When I feel to complain it helps to realize that I had a cancerous tumor that was successfully removed. So far everything looks good. I'm thankful! I have since been able to enjoy two new grand babies.