Hi, I will have nephrectomy next week, and I’m scared because I heard that many people have nasty post nephrectomy symptoms. I have a kidney cancer, so this operation is necessary. Is it true what I heard? Are post operative symptoms so nasty?

Hi, I had nephrectomy few months ago when I was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease. This is a disease where cysts displace healthy kidney tissue. There are often post operative discomfort, and sometimes it can be nasty. I had just a discomfort in the area of the incision, and sometimes numbness caused by severed nerves. There are some things like breathing exercises that can help you prevent nasty post nephrectomy symptoms and pneumonia. These breathing exercise could also help people with breathing difficulties and painful coughing caused by nephrectomy. There are some medication you can use to relief postoperative symptoms, and some therapies, like hypnosis and acupuncture. When I was recovering, I used herbal & homeopathic remedies, and they helped me very much.

I am a 58 year old who up until June this year had never had any serious illness.
I had not felt well since May 07 and in November had some blood tests at my GP which proved okay.
In May 08 i had blood in my urine and had slowly over the year become extremely tired having been used to walking 36 holes playing golf i could bearly do 4 holes.
Following NHS tests [I asked my GP to send me privately as my company have an excellent private medical care] but he insisted i go NHS. On the day of the tests i went from room to room feeling like a piece of meat to be told by the doctor that i had a 20mm cyst on the kidney perfectly normal for a man my age and that my prostate was enlarged.
I refuted this knowing that something had to be wrong for me to feel the way i did so i demanded that my GP send me private and i even gave him the name of the consultant i wanted to see.
On 6th June i was diagnosed with a 5.3cm tumour on the right kidney and my prostate was fine.
On 5th July i had the surgery and now recovering fine.
I put my success so far down to prepration. Phases.
Phase 1 Prepare both mentally and physically
Phase 2 The Operation
Phase 3 recovery
Phase 4 Start your new life.

I had little or no pain from the suregry.In fact the worse pain was in my shoulder from the CO2 gas used.
I came off lorphine after 3 days and yesterday only 15 days after surgery had a welcome glass of vino and hit some golf balls.
Still a long way to go but by phasing and having a positive approach it can be aesier.
I feel like a new person and now intend to enjoy every day.
My biggest problem is updating my travel insurance so if anyone has any experience of this i would welcome some input.
My work life balance will change but i feel great.
Happy to share more of my experiences with anyone and even set up a forum to assist people staring out on the journey.

Stay Positive.

Paul B

I had a nephrectomy in January. It was larpiscopic. Six months later I am absolutely fine!

I am 31 years old. ive had problems eith my right kidney for about 6 years now. on Sept.17th my dr removed my right kidney. my incision starts at my breastbone and goes all the way down my right rib cage. The pain is excruciating and the back pain whete my kidney use to be hurts even worse. The dr told my husband that my entire kidney had calcified and he literally had to chisel it away from my back muscels and bowel. It has now been 10 days and i dont feel any better...this is my story. i havent told it to scare anyone. This is honestly what im living right now and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

Hi Pauline,
My son had a Left kidney removed due to a 6.5 cm tumor on 12/4/13.. He is 45, he did well and went home 2 days post op..he had it done at Lahey Clinic in Burlington ma.
Well now he has no appetite, minimal incision pain as he was in great shape prior to surgery...He is waiting on test results but is not himself...We knew it was cancer but still waiting for Doc to call with pathology report...All lymph was clear and they left the adrenal gland.
He keeps saying he has no energy, very tired....I'm so concerned.
How long before you felt normal again??

I am 55 years old and on 12/6/2013 had my left kydney removed due to a tumor and cancer.
The cancer was limited to the Kidney. They Aldo removed 20 lymph nodes and my adrenal gland.
All lymphatic are clear. I was in the hospital twice after due to leaking of fluid into my stomach from what was suspected to be an injury to my Thorascic Duct caused during surgery. During the next 4 months after Surgery I was going to the hospital on a weekly basis to have my stomach drained of fluid
It went fro 2 2 leter bottles to 10 2 leter bottles. I would gain about 20 lbs in a week then loose it
All when I was drained. After 4 months of this and the Urologist not knowing how to correct it,
We found a doctor at UC Davis that could perform a procedure that would correct the leaking.
Fortunately after the consultation I stopped leaking. I was weak and tired for the four months
But, I attribute that to the draining of fluid which contained protein and fat.
I now feel good about 95 percent. I assume it will take about 9 months to a year to feel 100 percent.

Hello; i recently had my left kidney removed due to cancer. The surgery went well, and incisions healed up nicely. I had pain for about 2 weeks, then i was fine and off painkillers. My only problem now is that i am totally fatigued and get tired very easily. I may have one good day in every 15 days. My question to you is...how is your son doing now ?