My dad is going to have his kidney removed this week. I was just wondering what complication do or may occur in post op period. Also if someone who experienced Nephrectomy would like to share story with us would be great.

Hi, I had a kidney removed a year ago. I had pain around my incision few months, soreness in my chest, ribcage. I was on meds for some time, anti depressant too. I can’t say I handle this well, although some people had other complications such as hbp and infections or even a kidney failure after Nephrectomy. It is individual thing.

Oh my God, I cannot believe that some id**t actually took the time to send you such a negative answer......wasn.t it obvious that you had written your original msg out of worry!!!!! I had a left nephrectomy on the 23rd November 2003 at the age of 31 and to be honest it was the best thing that ever happened to me!!!!!! I had a staghorn calculus (large infected stone) that had been causing recurrent infections draining all my energy and leaving me feeling very ill. Within 1 1/2 days of my operation I was off the morphine, a day later I was sent home and within a week I was able to go for short walks outside. I had tenderness around the scar for a few weeks but nothing more. Four weeks later I was at a Christmas party, drinking and dancing better than before!!! I can honestly say that I have never looked back and I really and trully hope that your dad has just as positive an experience as I did. The way I looked at it......it wasn't working so whip it out!! ( mind you, I was pretty glad I had two and that the other on was healthy ...ha ha!!!)
You know where I am if you need any more words of wisdom!!

I just had my kidney removed 4 weeks ago today. I am 33 and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have had 5 kids, my gallbladder removed and an appendectomy. My surgery was not laprascopic that might make a big difference. I was donating to my brother. who is doing wonderful by the way. The first 2 weeks were very hard the 3rd better and we will see about the 4th. I still have pain.

I had a hand assisted, laparoscopic nephrectomy performed 5 weeks ago for Renal cell cancer. Still a little sore, but I have been back to work for 2 weeks. I feel like I am doing extremely well. If the kidney is causing you health problems, and your doctor recommends its removal, don't fret-- its important to correct the problem. " Open" procedures are a little more difficult to recover from, pain- wise, but all and all-- most people do very well after nephrectomy.

Hope this helps!!

My understanding is that a nephrectomy is a pretty standard surgery so it's not one that involves a lot of complications. I am glad to hear that the poster above me had a good recovery because it's one that I feel is typical. Usually your surgeon will go over potential complications because there's always the possibility of some, but for the most part, these surgeries are easily successful. I wish your dad all the best and good luck to you. Can some of the other nephrectomy patients vouch for their recovery time?

My daughter, 30 yrs. old, just informed me that she is to have a nephrectomy. Since she lives in Michigan and I live in Kansas I will travel to be with her and will help her recover at home. I do not know cause or type of disease process caused this and am so thankful that I can quietly research all I can so that if the prognosis is unfavorable, I can be prepared to be positive and strong for her. Whatever bridges we are to cross we will do so with as much fortitude as possible. We will laugh, cry, and be optomistic. Thank all of you for sharing your experiences...good and bad.

I am anxious to hear from those who had the surgery and if you are all doing fine? I discovered a growth (the size of a lemon) in my kidney by accident...nothing else was wrong and there were NO SYMPTOMS. The doctors said it had been there for quite some time, but no one had any idea what it was. At the time, early 2002, the laparoscopic procedure was not being done everywhere but I just couldn't imagine having that major surgery nor the recovery time...I felt perfectly fine. I researched the internet and found the Urology Department at Johns Hopkins where they routinely perform laparoscopic removal of kidneys. Since there was no way to test the growth without risk, it was determined it would be better to remove the kidney - guess that is why we have two. I met with both a traditional surgeon and the surgeon at Johns Hopkins...this was their specialty and they convinced not only my doctors, but my health care provider that this was the best solution. The surgery was AMAZING! Three tiny holes and the kidney was gone, they actually cut off the blood supply, disconnect the kidney, put it in a bag, seal it and pull the bag out through your belly button. The tests showed it was a benign tumor and there was no need for further treatment. In three days I was up and driving and my other kidney handled and continues to handle the functions perfectly. It is now 7 years later and I have never had a problem...except that insurance companies FREAK when they see the word "nephrectomy". They need to understand that sometimes, removing a part can solve the problem (think about an appendix or tonsils). Should you ever need this surgery or know someone who does, please DO YOUR RESEARCH! My choice saved the insurance company more than $30,000 and saved me from the unnecessary traditional procedures and potential pitfalls.

I had surgery over a year ago and still have complications from it. I was scheduled for robotic surgery, my kidney was the size of a Nerf football and non-functional. The surgeon completed procedure only to realize he clamped the wrong artery, needless to say I ended up with a vascular bypass on the artery (taken from a LARGE incision on my leg) and opened me up vertically from top of torso to bottom of torso.. 8 days in intensive care and A LOT of healing. Still have bruising and numbness on my leg incision, belly button VERY sore to this day. I think typically it would have been great, but just not in this instance. Good luck, most operations are favorable when they are correcting a medical issue.
Yes anti-depressants, GI specialists, vascular surgeons, multiple CT scans. I wonder what the long term results are from the pokes and prods that were done after the surgical teams were finished. Did I mention 12 hours under anasthesia??
Of course the doctor then says to me "it could have been worse". Ok yes if I died, it would have been worse.

Had a radical left nephrectomy, laproscopic with hand assist four weeks ago. Surgeon had to extend incision due to size of PNET tumour, 14cm by 10cm by 9 cm. Have severe numbness in fourth and fifth fingers of both hands, can't use them very well. Can anyone else relate to this complication? ?

My husband (61) had a radical left nephrectomy (not laporoscopically) four days ago, and while the operation was a success, there are two things that patients should look out for when having this operation.   Firstly, trapped air in a diaphragm, which caused excruciating pain in his shoulders, something about the air pressing on nerves in the abdomen corresponding with shoulder and neck muscles (this lasted 2 days) and secondingly he is also still experiencing (day four) severe constipation, as a result of the anaesthetic, morphine pain relief and not eating for 36 hours.   Suppositories, oral laxatives and an enema over the past 24 hours have not made any impression on his problem, but we are living in hope and trust that things will "move along", later today.   These two issues are causing more pain than the wound which is 12 inches in length, but healing nicely.   One other thing for carers to note is that around the third day, a slight depression seems to set in, but I am hopeful that this will lift once he is home.   Should be discharged on day five, providing constipation is solved.  

I had 2 Nephrectomies. No pain afterward. Just during the healing.

It is good to hear that it can go well.  My son is currently 16 and was born with kidney stones thus loosing the left kidney.  We didnt know this til he was approximately 11yrs old.  He has seen his nephrologist and they are keeping the kidney in him for now til it causes problems.  Well my problem is that it is filling with fluid and am worried it may blow causing more problems.  I would like to have it removed before something does happen.  I just wanted someones else view on this and how his life could change as it has put a hamper due to his fear of it blowing.  At a young age i would like to see it removed so he can go on with his life now not later.

Don't worry.... Your child would be in agonizing pain if the kidney were in danger of bursting....

I had my left kidney taken out because of a stone blocking the ureter and then basically "washing out" the kidney. Surgery was quick about 45 minutes. I had 19 staples on the side of my belly which were taken out about 10 days after surgery. That hurt getting those out. The first few days in the hospital were not too bad. The worst day was the 1st full day after surgery. I felt nauseous and it hurt greatly when I had dry heaves. I was given anti nausea meds which helped. I was out of the hospital after the 3rd full day afterwards. I was tired alot after I got home. Pain was very minimal. I only needed to take a couple Advil a day for about a week. I was out from work for a month because of the nature of my job. It took about 4 weeks before I could walk normally for an hour. It has now been 6 weeks since my surgery and I have some tenderness and my muscles feel tight on my side.