Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and looking for others like me.

I had this "new miraculous" procedure/surgery Oct. 29th, 2009. Since I'm here I'm sure you can guess it didn't go well.

I am in chronic pain every single day. I've taken on a whole new problem and looking for others who are having problems after this specific surgery. I was told this surgery is "new, miraculous & you're back to work in 2-3 weeks". Sure! That's a big lie.

I am a 41 yr old women who was very physically active before all this. I could still do some physical activity before my surgery and now I'm down to barely anything. I know there are people out there that have it worse than me. I am so frustrated with this whole thing and don't know where to turn anymore.

My surgery was at L5, S1. I now have chronic pain in my right glute, right hip/pelvic area, right leg, lower lumbar & at times in my "private" area. It's every single day and I feel like such a downer most of the time. I do go to a pain clinic, but when I tell them what they're giving me isn't working, they look at me like I'm some sort of pill popper. I got this surgery so I wouldn't ahve to take pills and I wanted to feel better. This is not what I signed up for.

I am working everyday but miss a lot of time due to all of this. (appt's etc) Most mornings I can barely get out of bed and once I do, it's hard to stand up straight. To lift my leg to get in the shower is excruciating. If I press on my right thigh, I can feel pain in my back. Every day is a battle. I begged my chiro to take some x-rays to see if he could see anything. He did and we looked a long time at the pictures and he says my bone hasn't fused at all. Wasn't this the purpose of the surgery??

How can I get them to give me the meds I need to function day to day? I realize I'll never be 100%, but even if I could be at 75%, it's better than where I am now. I'm scared to talk to any one about it anymore because I'm certain people get sick of hearing that my back hurts. This pain has consumed me and I just want to feel better and not have to struggle so much everyday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

i feel your pain leanne!! i had the same fusion done in 2004, and have not been the same since, constant chronic pain, into the glut and hip, i have been to pain interventionists and have done ALL the blocks they offered with no results, still doesnt get rid of the pain. now i see a pain management dr who says no surgery would have been better! now they tell me this!! i attempted to go back to my life, without success, now i have limited mobility, and they just implanted a pain stimulator, which helps with the hip and leg pain, but not for the pain in my back. wish i had more to offer, but find u a pain management dr, they at least understand that surgery doesnt fix it

I have the same problem after AxialIF on 4-28-10. I have been trying to find out what is causing it. Are you still out there?
please reply. Barry

I had the same procedure in January 2010.  I ended up having four surgeries since, and ended up having the hardware removed (minus the axial bolt of course).  I still have a deep pain near my tailbone that bothers me a lot.  Do you guys still have your hardware in place?

I had this done in sept 08, and it failed, now have to have the hardware removed (including bolt) and have a L4 / 5 / S1 fusion. anyone had something similar? gone through havng the hardware removed including the bolt?

Why was the axial bolt removed?  I have the "deep ache" everyone talks about, but I didn't think that it could be removed.  About how far along did you have it removed.  Also, was the failure a non-union, or increased pain post-op?

I haven't been able to talk to many that have had the 2 level like myself.  I am curious to see what you are feeling pain-wise.

Hi, LeAnne My name is Barry. I have the same leg and groin pain 2 yrs post op.
I am still looking for answers. I am trying to get an "MRN" a special mri machine for imaging nerves.
My torso is slitely twisted to the left. all the core muscles are suspected. I think these core muscles that attach
to the sacrum have pulled and twisted it "corkscrewed" and then it fused in that position. If this has happened
the muscles that attch to the sacrum would tighten and possably Hypertrophy causin piriforms syndrome where the piriforns muscle squishes the sciatic and tibial and femoral nerves between it and the muscle just below it. There are other Muscle-nerve syndromes that can be caused this way - ie. Iliotibial band syndrome. You are the only other person on the internet who has all the leg pains that I have.

Please reply
Barry

Hi LeAnne from gobarron or just plain Barry. My torso is twisted to the left. My pelvis is also twisted and is higher on the right side. My right leg is further back than the left. My right shoulder is now hurting bad as it unconciously drops down to ballance my torso that is twisted and leaning left. My right knee is also in pain and trouble because it no longer moves correctly do to the leg being out of normal position. I also noticed that I am walking on the extreme outside of my right foot. Newest pain is the heels of both feet.

Thinga are getting much worse now.... noticable on a daily level. While getting a sacroiliac cortisone shot the doctor noticed on his floroscope that the right facet screw "looks really Bad" and said that i "should get a nerosurgeon to remove it right away". That was on Aug 16,2012 Now sept 5th and my surgeon still won't help. You might have the same problem (facet screw). All the doctors i have seen say nothing is wrong with the hardware... except the one brave pain doctor. I looked at my CT scan of the hardware tonight... there is only one angle view from the rear. Need the doc to finally order muti angle pics to find the truth... but i'm sure his ego won't go for it. He say's that my surgery is a compleete success because a "fuuuusion ocurred". Calling lawyer tomorrow.

I have been trying to contact you because you are the only other patient that seems to have the same post-op problems as me. If i can find the cause of any of my misseries I will post them for you.

Never quit, never give inand never give up. But do take a break now and then.

Barry

I had the 2 level axialif in aug 09. Still in severe pain everyday. The tailbone pain, back pain and leg pain. I was told at my 2 yr follow up appt that I had only slight fusion at upper level although he wld still consider it a "success". I hv awesome pain drs that really do work with me to make it livable. My pain dr has recommended for over a yr now having hardware removed, including the bolt. . He said he wld help me get all my medical stuff together and get me into mayo clinic. I would just really like some more info and results of hardware removal...

I have been having the same problems everyone else is describing. I had the surgery in November 2009. It has ruined my life. I am in constant pain, can no longer work and I am on disability at the age of 38! I owned my own business which I have now lost because I am not able to do anything physical and I can not concentrate on anything because of the pain I am in. I t0o was told I would be up and about in 2-3 weeks! Six months after the Axialif surgery I had one of the screws removed because it penetrated the nerve column in my back. Unfortunetly the removal did not help at all with the pain. I have a deep ache, burning, shooting pains from the lower part of my back down my leg (sometimes both legs). My foot is overly sensitive at times and other times it is numb. I have been told there is nothing more that can be done for me. I am on heavy pain medication. I wish I could go back in time and never have done the surgery. It is so hard because I am married with a child and I have to watch them work and do almost everything around the house. I feel useless and I am so down and miserable most of the time. I wish I could find some answers somewhere.

I understand how you feel. I am still working but only because I take so many pain meds to function. Not before I lost my high paying job though and had to take one that pays about $35k less a yr. I'm not upset I had the surgery because before I cldnt even stand for more than a min or two. I just think things aren't right because of the constant pain I am in.

I'm trying to get the facet screws removed by a different surgeon than the guy who installed them. My Cortisone shot doctor saw how inflamed the right one was while giving me a sacroiliac shot. he tried to inject the medicine into the L5-S1 Facet joint with the screw but it hurt too much. He did get a drop or two in the facet joint though, and low and behold all the pain in my right leg, right groin, right but, right, hip completely disappeared for 2 months. This proves that the screw and or the damage done to that area while installing the screws is a major player in all the pains I'm Having.

LeAnne1968 HERE.... Sorry I lost track of where exactly I had posted this at.

It's now 2014! I am in NO BETTER shape & just called the Dr. today to try & figure out if "something" is wrong. Aside from my normal issues from having this surgery, for over a week now I have severe pain in the L5-S1 region where my surgery was. It is NOT going away so I figured I better call a Dr. to see if perhaps something is wrong with my hardware from this stupid surgery.

I noticed it last week bothering me. Thought maybe it was just from the extreme cold temps we've been having in Iowa irritating my hardware. Well, here it is a week & 2 days later and I'm still having major issues. Only NOW, I have NO HEALTH INSURANCE.

Severe pain in my lower back, pain also radiates into BOTH hips (everything is usually on my right side) and now deep pain into both of my legs (in my hamstrings) which I'm assuming is the sciatica. I can hardly stand to sit and in certain positions, it almost feels as though there is a "tugging" or "pulling" sensation in my lower back ALONG with the deep pain in that area.

UGH.

Hi LeAnne1968,
My Name is Barry from Massachusetts, USA. I left a reply to you some time ago because you were having all the same symptoms I was having. My surgery was done in April 2010. I have found that no doctor will even make an appointment with me. The surgeon that operated on me saw me once post operation and then skipped out on the last 4 appointments that i made with him, without notifying me that he would not be in! The round trip from my apartment to his hospital is 170 miles. As soon as i get my car running reliably I am going to try and find a lawyer to help me get a second opinion. My other thought was to move to a sate much further away but getting insurance becomes a problem. I'm a Veteran but was told the VA doesn't perform this procedure so they don't know what to do. I have learned that no doctor will help when the surgeon that did the initial surgery did a bad job. I am going to keep trying to get someone to look at this and remove the Facet screws that are jabbing into me like 2 Knives and giving rise to all sorts of hideous pains from the L5 down to the soles of my feet. When i learn any knew information about how to get help I will post it here as a reply to this post of yours.

Hope things get better somehow,
Barry

Hi Barry and I'm so sorry I wasn't able to find my way back here until today. I just happen to get lucky & find it while searching on Google.

I'm terribly sorry to hear you're having the same issues. Never in a million years would I have thought at this age I would be so limited of what I can do in life. If I could do it all over again, I would NOT have gotten this surgery. I have inherited so much nerve damage & they told me even IF they took the hardware out, the damage is done. So, why on earth would I let them cut on my back again if it's not going to do any good.

I know that I am past the Statue of Limitations ( I work in the legal field) so trying to go back on my surgeon would be pointless. I also get the "feelings like someone stabbed me in the foot with a screwdriver" for no reason at all. I can just be sitting there getting ready to fall asleep and BOOM.

I have grown so frustrated of saying "Oh I can't, because of my back".

Please keep me posted & I wish you all the luck in the world. Yoga has helped me "some" and of course, walking takes my mind off of it. Sitting is the absolute worse, which according to the nimwit who did my surgery "ALL THAT WILL BE GONE". Yea sure.

I had to have neck surgery a year ago & my neck is in AMAZING shape now. The recovery from the neck surgery was a walk in the park compared to the back. I only wish I could have had the same results from the good ol' AxiaLif.