There is an extremely wide spectrum of inherited pancreatic disorders in childhood. I have cousin with this disorder, who told me it depends on the condition, which symptoms can develop. Since I know the pancreas makes more than 25 different digestive enzymes, I understand there must be many different pancreatic disorders. That is why I would like to hear more about this problem. Can you tell me something about pancreatic disorders?

The pancreas has a tremendous reserve capacity, more than 95% of the function of the pancreas must be lost before the pancreas fails and symptoms of bloating and maldigestion could develop. Children with digestive problems due to failure of the pancreas have to take enzyme replacement therapy. In this case, of pancreatic disorders, they have to take therapy with meals as well as additional fat-soluble vitamins. The large pancreatic reserve also means that children can have a severe pancreatic problem without experiencing any problems with digestion, that I told you now. The exocrine pancreas is not fully developed at birth, and in fact, all healthy infants show some degree of maldigestion. This happens because the pancreas is immature and does not have the same ability to produce enough enzymes. Many children with cystic fibrosis have evidence of severe pancreatic disorders, or failure immediately following birth. Approximately 85% of all people with cystic fibrosis have pancreatic insufficiency and need to take pancreatic enzymes with meals. This is the main therapy for most pancreatic disorders that have been evaluated until now.