I would like to know if elevated level of amylase necessarily suggest chronic pancreatitis. My neighbor’s husband drink a lot and he has not been felling well for some time. She said that he did some blood test few days ago and that they are not great. They suspect on chronic pancreatitis, because of the level of amylase. What are other signs for this disease?

Chronic pancreatitis is often caused by alcohol abuse, but not necessarily. In this condition inflammation and fibrosis cause the destruction on functional glandular tissues in the pancreas which results with lack of pancreatic enzymes .The usual tests are made for: level of amylase, level of lipase, because those are two enzymes produced by pancreas, trypsinogen and fecal fat test. If I am informed correctly exploratory laparotomy may be performed to confirm the diagnosis of pancreatitis.