Hi, my two year old nephew has been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. He is the cutest little boy I have ever seen and I don't understand why my sister is so concerned about him. To me he looks perfectly healthy. Can you tell me what effect cystic fibrosis has on his health? Is this condition really as serious as my sister says?

Hi, I am sorry to say that your sister is absolutely right to be concerned about her son's health. Cystic fibrosis is genetic disease. It means that it is inherited from parents who are carriers of the genes, but don't have to express the illness. The basic effect of cystic fibrosis is that it causes the body to produce thick mucus that blocks the passageways and disables organs to perform their function. Lungs and pancreas are mostly affected. Infections are common followers of the disease. Pancreas is a gland that produces a number of digestive enzymes. When these enzymes are not distributed to the small intestine the food is not digested and the body does not get enough nutrition elements. That is why children with cystic fibrosis are underweighted and smaller than the rest of the children their age. Also because of the damage done to the pancreas and the incapacity of its cells to produce insulin the patient in time can develop cystic fibrosis related diabetes. Most of the deaths caused by cystic fibrosis are a consequence of lung failure. Because of the thick mucus that builds up, the air passageways in the lungs get closed and the person has very hard time breathing. The mucus is also a great substrate for bacteria, so the infections are very common with cystic fibrosis. The cystic fibrosis also causes infertility in men with cystic fibrosis. I guess that now you are more aware of your nephew's condition and that you will be much supportive to your sister.

lauritz wrote:

Yeah, his condition is serious. But it is so important the first years of his life, all the care of parents. I always thank God for my parents -in-law and all the care they gave to my husband since he was a baby and they knew about the illness of their baby. They never missed a physiotherapy with him, not a dioctor visit. Thanks to that my husband is now 38 year old and he still lives with his own lungs, and his constancy is admirable, he spends 5 to 6 hoyurs a day on his treatment and unfortunately this is one of the reasonswhy many cf's die so yourng; although sometimes the y have serious complications with their health, buit it is really important the constancy and the strenght they give to their child. So please support your sister and not let her fall into depression or anything similar because it can cause damage into your nephew's health too. All the best