I need to know something about cystic fibrosis causes. I am 34 years old, my wife is 29, and she gave birth to our baby girl 3 days ago. Out happiness and joy subdued very fast, when doctors mentioned that she might be suffering from cystic fibrosis. I want to know how did this happen? Is it our fault? We did all we could; pregnancy was not an easy one, but it all ended ok. What is this now?

Congratulations on your new baby! Unfortunately news like this is never happy news...but I'd like to brighten your spirits some. I have a cousin who has CF. Life for her hasn't been easy at times but I'd like to somewhat share her story with you to put some hope in you and your new baby's life.
Shelly is now in her late 30's (sorry I can't remember exactly). Along with CF she suffers from diabetes. This young lady has performed miracles throughout her life.
I remember Shelly saying she wanted to have a child. To be honest I cringed at the thought, thinking there would be no way Shelly could ever have a child. Well she did! Her son is now 10 yrs old and as healthy as ever.
One of the main concerns with CF is keeping mucas out of the lungs. For Shelly it became a losing battle, she could hardly walk because of shortness of breath, and she was put on a lung transplant list. She recieved a double lung transplant about 6 yrs ago.
This young lady goes to work. She raises her son alone. She can breath without any difficulty.
We were told once a CF patient has a lung transplant that their lungs will be free of CF problems from then on.
Of course medicine improves all of the time. I know when Shelly was born they said she probably would not live past her teen years...Medicine has come along way. Look at all this young lady has accomplished!
Yes none of us wish our children to be ill and I'm going to be honest with you it is a life long battle. It's hard to see someone you love go through CF. I've witnessed it first hand. But not all times are bad, at least not with Shelly. She has accomplished and endured more than any person I've ever known. I have much admiration for her. Most of all she is a happy young lady and enjoys every day of her life to the fullest. Isn't that what life is all about?
To answer your question...we were told that with CF both parents have to carry the gene that causes CF. We were also told that it skips a generation. My family was shocked because we have no recolection of any ancestors having CF. Please remember we were told this quite a few years ago. Medicine may have different answers by now.
Hope I've helped. Give your new baby a hug for me!

If you want to know the truth about cystic fibrosis causes, you have to be prepared for the fact that maybe you or your wife, or even both are cystic fibrosis carriers. You have it in your genes, but it did not show through symptoms, so you are both healthy. But, your daughter got this gene from you and it is active in her. That is one cause. The other is a simple gene mutation. Whatever the cause, I feel really sorry for your fate.

hey weider
Congratulations on your new baby. I am 27 years old and have Cystic Fibrosis. It is a genetic disease which effects the exocrine organs, (organs that excrete mucus). Everyone's body produces mucus, due to a cellular imbalance CF patients produce extra thick and extra amounts of mucus.If your wife has led a normal life without diagnosis than she has very mild CF. Her parents each had the recessive gene, and just like blue eyes, she got CF. There is nothing that either of you did wrong! Chances are the pregnancy led to doctors being aware of some problems, i.e. shortness of breath or nutritional problems. This awareness led to diagnosis. DON'T WORRY. My husband and I are very happy and are discussing pregnancy. Make sure you find your wife a good pulmonary doctor. The lungs are most effected due to the overproduction of thick mucus, she may experience bacterial infections like pneumonia that can be solved with antibiotics. Her pancrease may be effected as the enzymes have trouble being released to absorb nutrients, causing inability to gain weight or lack of appetite. You will both lead a normal life with the help of medicine. have your new baby tested for CF as you may be a carrier and not realize it. I'm excited for your new life and now your wife can receive the medical advice to maintain her healthy lifestyle. good luck and I will be happy to discuss this with you further.Code: