I am 3 years post ACUTE PANCREATITIS. I had a severe case (in hospital x 6 weeks). I do have genetically linked high cholesterol. Since my pancreatitis , I have rigidly controlled my diet. With the slightest "cheat"..ie. birthday cake..my cholesterol rises precipitously (spikes). Is there a link with post pancreatitis and this rise? It is possible for me to lower my cholesterol and triglyceride levels to acceptable levels without the use of percription statins (which I will not take) with red yeast rice and increased omega 3. So does my past pancreatitis cause my pancreas to process fats that inadequately? Carbs? Thoughts? Thanks

If you have had pancreatitis in the past, here is what I know of. The pancrease becomes scarred from the pancreatitis swelling, after the scarring comes a realm of a harder working organ (the pancrease). It has to sustain a quite bit harder time producing enzymes and insulin for the body properly. One attack is not rule of figure in this case, I am referring to several attacks resulting in a far more damged pancrease, such in case as myself I have had about 9 attacks all being very serious, 7 requiring a hospital stay. Of concern though in your case being in the hospital for 6+ weeks, indicates a very bad case, which could be easily equivilant to three attacks resulting in serious scarring. One thing I noticed though is that whay do you refuse to take the cholesterol lowering drugs..? This is of high importance, as in my case high triglycerides trigger an attack, and more so pasta! watch out for this stuff, it sends me in to an attack with in 18 hours of consuming the pasta. So I hope this summary helps, want more information on pancrease cases I can help, read my prior postings. Pancreatitis is a serious illness, I am currently living with a constant battle of pain I have had this condition for about seven years, and it is only getting worse.

To member JOSHUA572: Statins have been shown to cause PANCREATITIS in some cases, and thus are CONTRAINDICATED in cases of a previous pancreatic event. If you GOOGLE "statins and pancreatitis" you will find some useful info. Although the incidence is low..I, for one am not willing to take that chance. My physician agrees. To compensate, I take RED YEAST RICE, which has a significantly lower concentration of the statin found in a well-known prescription statin, and OMEGA 3. When I adhere to a strictly controlled intake of CARBS and FAT this works well. Therefore the "SPIKE" must be when I CHEAT! Thanks for your input! It was MOST HELPFUL. Since my initial acute event, I have have not experienced a recurrence. As to your chronic reacurrences, I am sorry! Here is a link you might find helpful: jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/84/4/1203#T2
It is a recent scientific study on recurrent ACUTE PANCREATITIS and methods to control it. Thanks, again!

I was just released today from the hospital after having my second pancreatitis attack. The first one was very severe, and this one was not as bad. However, it stiill was not a pleasant experience. After a couple of days of no food, just IV, and then reintroduced to liquids I was released. Now I have to have a bland diet (no fats, spices, alcohol) for a week till I see my regular doctor next week. I had a CT scan, a sonogram, and an MRI while in hospital, and nothing showed up. The blood tests revealed high pancreatic enzymes when I was first admitted. The next day they were back to normal. Guess I'm totally off any alcohol in the future, though I always enjoyed my glass of red wine with dinner. Alcohol is supposed to be one of the worst things for this condition. If anyone has ideas of bland diet recipes that have worked for you, please contact me. Good luck to all of you out there with this condition. I'm only sorry to see that so many people suffer from this as I do.

I usually get away with eating crackers (wheat), toast (wheat), with I can't believe it's not butter, not very much though. Mozeralla cheese on triscuits, water melon is also good. Cucumbers with splash of vinegar, Chicken noodle soup. One thing I have heard also is on a bland diet you should include foods that are white in color.....? Not sure what this has to do with anything, maybe the coloring of the foods I am not sure. Hope this helps.

I have had pancreas problems for 4.5 years now, my first case was severe, necrotizing pancreatitis. It was from high triglycerides from a combination of a family history of hypertriglyceridemia and my being 34 weeks pregnant (there is a normal rise in trig's in the third trimester). My Trig's were almost 2000. I ended up being in the hospital for 4 months. I went into renal failure, respiratory failure, cardiac insufficiency... it was bad. (luckily my daughter was far enough along that they were able to take her emergency c=section and she is fine now) I take tricor to control my trig's now. I had 2 other cases of acute pancreatitis that were not nearly as severe. The first attack was severe enough to send me into chronic pancreatitis. I had pain that was constant and nausea that was constant and so severe that I was not able to get out of bed and I had a PICC line and was on constant TPN (feeding through an IV at home). I had several hospitalizations over a period of 3.5 years, all added up equals 16 months in the hospital.
Finally I had a TP/ICT (total pancreatectomy and islet cell transplant) and from the moment I woke up after surgery ALL of the pancreas pains were gone! It's been 7 months since my surgery and my pain is about 90% gone, and the constant nausea is totally gone. Before the surgery I was on IV narcotics at home. Now I take one pain pill up to 3 times a day and that is it! Sometimes I don't need any!
I take the pancreatic enzymes to replace the digestive enzymes since I don't have a pancreas, which doesn't really matter b/c I had to do that before the surgery since my pancreas didn't work and wouldn't release any digestive enzymes.
There are supplements at natural health stores that you can get without a prescription that are pancreatic enzymes. So maybe you could get those to take when you know you are going to eat something with a little more fat or more carbs that normal. Maybe that could prevent you getting an attack. (if you are not already on presciptione enzymes). With me I couldn't eat any type of meat. I would get an attack almost immediately. Carbs were one thing that I could eat easily. I existed compeltely on toast and cereal for a while. Spaghetti noodles with just a touch of marinara sauce was ok for me too. Everyone is different though, so its a trial and error game to see what you can and can not eat. I hope this helps someone, I would gladly answer any questions!!
~TB

I had gall stone induced necrotizing pancreatitis that kept me in ICU for 4 months. they removed 80% of my pancreas and am now insulin dependent. i seem to be able to eat most anything, fried foods cause issues, but mostly alcohol causes the most problems. im on crestor for cholestrol and fish oil for my triglicerides. so far, so good, havent had to go back to the hospital for any extended time.I actually hit the 2 million dollar max cap that blue cross blue shield has on their policy, now im currently uninsured, which is kinda scary.. i went in aug 29 2006 and got released from cedar sinia jan 31 2007.. im wondering what the future will hold for folks who suffer from this type of problem.

comments?

This is my first time with severe acute Pancreatitis. My triglceride levels were over 7,000. Im just home from the hospital and still have a long way to go from what im told. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks don't remember the first week at all, then step down unit for a week. I got them to let me go home but ended up back in for CHF and Pneumonia (1 week). From reading I see that multiple organ failure is common. My kidneys are working at 40-50%, liver counts are off, diabetic, heart condition, blood pressure ect. It's alot to take at one time. Im still dealiing with pain and discomfort, im about 6 weeks in now. I know everyone is a little different but how long does this last. Dr.s dont give any answers to this. Will I always have some pain and discomfort ? And is there anyone here that has had one Acute case and no flare ups later in life. And I aplogize if my Questions are all over the place between the meds and feeling off Im still kinda scattered in my thoughts. Thank You.

i have come home from hospital today after having accute  Pancreatitis from a gould stone i really wasnt fit enough to come home but the hospital was making me feel sick.. but now my breathing is shallow and my head is banging is this just aside effect

thanks for your review in this matter, my husband have 7,000 tryglicerios , his family have it, is heritage
he have 3 times pancreatitis amd have now diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure, im so worry
and panic about it, he is 58, and I do a diet for a few month and nothing change, any comments??
or anything that we can try?? they change pills, but nothing change, we see endocrinology, nuticionist,
and now we going to cardiologist, but because you have the condition, is something that we have to consider??? I will appreciate your comments
thanks