Please tell me what Cystic Fibrosis is? My colleague’s child has been diagnosed with this condition recently. It was really shocking for all of us especially because they determined that the child inherited the condition. This is the first time I have heard about it and I appreciate any information. Thank you.

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that particularly affects the lungs and digestive system, which makes a child more vulnerable to repeated lung infections. In the last 10 years, research into all aspects of CF has helped doctors to understand the illness better and to develop new therapies and now thanks to medical advances in drug therapy and genetics; children born with Cystic fibrosis can look forward to longer and more comfortable lives. The inherited CF gene directs the body's epithelial cells to produce a defective form of a protein called CFTR (Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator) found in cells that line the lungs, digestive tract, sweat glands, and genitourinary system, when the CFTR protein is defective, epithelial cells can't regulate the way chloride passes across cell membranes. This disrupts the essential balance of salt and water that is needed to maintain a normal thin coating of fluid and mucus inside the lungs, pancreas, and passageways in other organs. I think that this brief description gave you idea what Cystic fibrosis is.