I have heard my neighbor had pancreatic cancer. I realized this is serious condition, as he had to remove surgically this part of the body. However, I have to admit I do not know what is pancreas. I know just it should be important gland somewhere is abdomen. Could you tell me something about it, and explain what is pancreas actually.

The pancreas is a narrow, flat organ about six inches long, located below the liver, between the stomach and the spine. Pancreas is organ with a head, middle, and tail section. Its head section connects rest of the pancreas to the duodenum, which is the first part of the small intestine. Inside the pancreas, small ducts feed fluids produced by the pancreas into the pancreatic duct. This duct carries the fluids down the length of the pancreas, from the tail to the head, and into already mentioned duodenum. The pancreas consists of two kinds of tissues known as exocrine and endocrine. Exocrine is part of pancreas, which makes powerful enzymes to digest fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. The enzymes normally are created and carried to the duodenum in an inactive form, and then activated as needed. Endocrine part produces the hormones, insulin and glucagons, and release them into the blood stream. These hormones regulate glucose transport into the body's cells and are crucial for energy production, which is important pancreatic role.