One night I woke up with sharp pain in my stomach. I got up and felt a sudden urge to vomit. I went to the bathroom and I vomited blood. I woke up my wife and she took me ER. First I thought I was in a life threatening situation, then this doctor explained I wasn’t. Later I found out I have peptic ulcer in my stomach. He explained that it is a sore in the stomach lining. He said that these are usually caused by bacteria but this was not my case. They didn’t find any bacteria. What are other risk factors for developing these ulcers? What could have caused mine?

Sores in the linning of the stomach can upper if you used too many drugs like aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs. There are more chances of getting these ulcers if you took them on empty stomachs. Food usually protects the lining but when there is no food, these drugs can erode the stomach lining. Other risk factors include heredity, smoking, and heavy drinking.