My father was diagnosed with peptic ulcer the other day. His doctor said that his condition was caused by a bacterium called helibacter pylori. He also said that this bacterium usually lives in our stomachs and I would like to know something about this because I have never heard of it before. Thank you

Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a spiral-shaped bacterium that lives in the human stomach exclusively and is the only known organism that can live in that highly acidic environment. Most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection; however, H. pylori causes chronic active, chronic persistent, and atrophic gastritis in adults and children. People who suffer from ulcers are prescribed antibiotics to eradicate the infection in most patients. In that case, there is a complete resolution of mucosal inflammation and a minimal chance for recurrence of ulcers.