For the past few weeks I have been experiencing abdominal discomfort. Finally I went to my doctor and he told me that I have ulcer. I was not surprised with it because my father had it too. Can you tell me more about the ulcers?

Abdominal discomfort or pain can be caused by many factors due to a fact that there are a lot of abdominal organs and the pain can originate from any of the. An ulcer is a lesion in a form of crater on the skin or mucous membrane. It can be caused by an inflammatory, infectious or malignant condition. Upper mid-abdominal pain, between umbilicus and the end of the breast bone is because of peptic ulcer, like in your case. Peptic ulcers are eroded areas in the protective lining of the stomach. They are caused by excess stomach acids and other irritants. Even though most causes of abdominal pain are related to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract and the gynecological subsystem we also have to be aware that abdominal pain can develop from other causes. The good thing is that you went to your doctor and did not ignore your condition. This way you will get a proper treatment.