My mother is 54. She had problems with her stomach for a long time. Few years ago she was diagnosed with peptic ulcer. Doctor told her that Helicobacter pylori bacterium had caused her condition. I would like to know more about it and is it possible for me, as her daughter, to get the same disease?

My mother has the same problem. However, her ulcer was caused by stress during her life. I remember when I was younger; I wanted to help her when she had attacks of pain. But there was little I could do. Because your mother’s condition was caused by bacterium there is no possibility for you to get this disease just because you are her daughter, on the basis of genetic. What many people don’t know is that most ulcers are caused by infection, not spicy food, acid or stress. Your mother was infected with the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and the good news is that this ulcer can be cured in about two weeks with antibiotics. A peptic ulcer is a sore or hole in the lining of the stomach or duodenum. Duodenum is the first part of the small intestine. Women are affected with ulcers just as often as men and people of any age can get an ulcer. The most common ulcer symptom is burning pain in the stomach. I am sure that your mother will be ok.