I was diagnosed with low iron anemia. (Hemoglobin was 9.6) I had a capsule endiscopy and they discovered an ulcer in the jejunum. They then did a small bowel follow through which uncovered no abnormalities. A colonscopy 3 years ago did not show anything, but they are suggesting doing another? What is the treatment for the ulcer in the jejunum? (I don't take pain relief meds) Does it need to be removed? Thanks.

My son had the same ulcers in the jejunum and proximal ileum. He got better on a gluten-free diet! It is truly amazing because his tested negative for the gene marker and biopsies are all normal. His Stanford doctor continue to believe that is is not Celiac because of the lack of histologic and serologic evidence. But I believe that he met the elimination and provocation criteria.

I don’t think that there would be any use of pain relievers anyway, even if you did take them. Well, three years enough time for these things to develop, I should know that – I had surgery this summer because of the troubles with peptic ulcer which I didn’t know I had. Treatment for ulcer is usually long-term usage of proton pump inhibitors which protect the intestinal lining and the surgery is only performed when there is a treat of complications. You probably would already know about that
But I would really like to hear something about gluten free diet and its effect on ulcers. I’m not sure that I would be ready to give up on all the wheat products and all of the gluten food, since I’m on ulcer diet (that’s basically: don’t eat anything that is bad for you, like spicy, fat, etc.) and basically can eat half the food I have before, I need some evidence that it works. It would be great if it did, but its just hard to trust blindly in these matters.

hi i have the same problems in jejunal and illeum

Hi! Have you been treated successfully? Have you gotten better? I am really curious to know about your experience. I just got my endoscopy results showing that I have jejunal ulcers and I am starting my research into finding a specialist that might have experience in this area. Please write back!

I am curious to know about your son's experience. Were the jejunal ulcers a one time occurrence? Did he have any other possible contributing factors such as SSRI use? Please respond!