My husband was taking percocet for a couple of months from back surgery, and he began to abuse them. He decided to stop them, he got through all the withdrawl symptoms, but now he is suffering from severe depression.
Can anyone tell me how long this will last.

I can honestly say i have been addictied to percocet now for five years and would like to quit, willingly and have not had a pill in over a month but still crave it. I think it is just like any other serious drug.... you should speak to your doctor. most people i know who have been on it always crave it.... and feel empty without it. did you know it is in the heroin family of drugs.... scary... Try a phyciotrist... maybe he is deppressed.... or needs meds to get him off the drug itself... i am searching myself.

good luck

I first withdrew from percocet back in '97 after taking it for about 7 months (for knee surgery and a subsequent herniated disk). I remember feeling depressed for about a week; the withdrawal made me sleep a lot. Now I'm withdrawing again after being on it of and on for about 9 months (for lower back pain due to that same disk leaking disk fluid). I wish I could find an easy way to get off and stay off. I have about 40 pills left (5/325 mg), and plan to put them in a safe to help me resist temptation. Sometimes I think I'm "inventing" back pain to give me an excuse to take them. They give me energy, but after a few days, I'm exhausted, especially because they interfere with my normal REM sleep, and often cause strange dreams. I took 1.5 pills yesterday (i.e., 7.5 mg), and I'm feeling weak, lethargic, and depressed right now. I'm praying that God will help me through this. I'm 54, had a drug & drinking problem when I was younger (i.e., in the late '60s through the '70s), but haven't had a drink since 9/14/80. I'm not taking any other drugs. I'm in the process of looking for another job since the federal agency I work for is closing, looking for jobs is stressful, I need to be clear-headed, and I can't use percocet to escape from the stress! Any advice will be appreciated!

Hello i can say that i was a percocet addict. Yes the withdrawl is bad and does suck real bad I used to take nyquil to sleep at night. The only way to really stop using is to get yourself into a recovery program and work the twelve steps or you will be suffering from an unhappy life. I believe on can stay off the percs without lets say NA or AA but you wont be happy and will not be able to change yourself on the inside

Hi, ive been taking percocet 10/325 for over 8 years, my primary Doctor was prescribing them for me untill last month, he was giving me 120 a month and a friend got 90 a month, which he gave to me, now i have only about 50 left so i went and saw a Pain Management Doctor, it was the best thing i could have done, he told me that i wasn addicted to percocet, but was dependent on them, to me that was the same, but he did go into detail the difference, but i dont have enough space here to tell you all the difference, he put me on FENTANAYL (25mg) PATCHES, Ive just started using the patch, and i can see a heck of a difference, i have very little withdrawel symptons, i have cheated and in the last 5 days have taken a half of a 10/325 a quarter at a time, which has really helped, but iknow i need to get off completely, when i asked about the dependency of the FENTANAYL, he told me not to worry about that, i wouldnt be on it long enough, i pray to God this works, because i want to get off from thsed Percocets so bad. I dont have the energy i used to have with the percocet, which does bother me, but other than that things seem to be coming together, if you are like me with the percocet problem, i strongly reccomend you see a pain specialist./ good luck, and GOD BLESS :-D :-D

I have been seeing a pain management specialist for several months now and have figured out that they don't expect you to ever stop using these drugs, I told the doc that I was getting better and she was shocked.
I am also in recovery for alcoholism so I am very careful about how I take them and am always honest with my sponsor about my doseage. She has warned me (from personal experience) that the pain clinics are trying to get you hooked. It's also where heroin addicts go to get methadone which is only one step away from percocet.
BEWARE pain clinics- they expect you to be a life long client

I sorry but methadone clinics do not want you to stay on the drug. I don't know where your getting your info. they slowly wean you off and I have never heard of a perc patient going to a meth clinic. I know a %#&^%# (person) if you will who has been on percs for over 20 years and she claims she can care for her 12 year old son as if she didn't take drugs. Too bad she lets his girlfriend sleep over and while she is in her drug induced state god only knows what is going on. She is an addict and goes to pain management and she doesn't want o get off.

I must have a propensity to become addicted. As it is I am pretty sensitive to narcotics and it usually doesn't take much for them to put me out cold.
This past month I developed kidney stones and was put on percocets. As the days went on, I found the pain cutting through the percocets earlier and earlier.
At the hospital after the stone surgery, I ended up in hospital with severe pain after percs were lasting 1 hr and I was popping 2 each hour.
I am now home after 5 days in hospital on percocets and diladen (sp) and am finding that today I have been crying at the drop of a hat. I feel so down and depressed and it must be the narcotics running through my system.

Just like the guest above me, I also was prescribed these for kidney stones, had the kidney stone surgery and also wound up back in the emergency room. One thing I do not understand is why they give this to us. We are supposed to pee all the time, drink atleast 2 litres of water a day and one of the main side effects of perco is bladder spasm, which makes it very hard to pee, so they put me on Detrol LA which is a anti bladder spasm medication. (a very expensive med, but it works!) I tried dilaudid and it did not work at all, I had to return that script back to my Doctor (Doctor Adam Perlmutter, the BEST doctor I have seen in my adult life!!! ) and ask for the perco's again as they worked well for me, through all of this mess I have taken about 120 perco's all together, suffered through many many hours of pain (hundreds) to try and avoid being addicted to these pain killers. I hate how they make my chest feel spun up and energized, they make me feel greasy and dirty. Percoset also constipates me VERY bad, I take 4 exlax a day and am supposed to take 1 perco 5/325 every 4 hours. I will lengthen that out to 6 to 8 hours sometimes so I can get a measure on the pain and see if I am getting any better. I go in may 1 to get the stint out of my kidney.. I would expect one last bottle of 40 5/325 perco's to wean off with and that should be it for me. I feel sorry for anyone addicted to this medicine or any drug for that matter. However, if you are in pain, for real, take them as prescribed for the duration and if you have problems , DONT BE AFRAID TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR, THATS WHAT WE PAY THEM FOR. IF you are REALLY in pain and NEED them, your doctor knows and can tell whats going on.

For those junkies out there reading this F%$& YOU ALL! You make it so hard for the people who DO need pain meds that its miserable because of you junk heads that fraud the system and doctor shop.... just get off the c**p folks.. youll feel much better and youll make it easier on the rest of the people who do , on ocaison, need serious pain relief for serious problems. Im sitting on a pillow and can hardley move and this id**t comes into my docs office complaining that she needs perco's or vikoden because her back hurts... LADY, if you back hurt like mine, (and mine is just from kidney stones and surgery) you wouldnt be standing up with your hands on your hips acting pissed... you are a junk head and a total insult to ME, my Doc and everyone in that office that was in serious pain.

I am on Soma and this is a dream drug for back pain and muscle spasms also, I am a VERY anxious person , I HAVE to take xnax to even go into the doctor's office and it is my personal goal to be completely pill free by june 15th.

For those who have been on perco's and are having a hard time getting off of them, there is a medication called seboxum (sp) that greatly reduces the addictive nature of the perco or any opioid type of PK but it is yet another very expensive pill. I think it is about 150 bucks per treatment and the treatment takes 2 weeks.
Peace and God Bless!

like the other 2 posts I have severe kidney stones. I had one that was the size of a golf ball and it lodged and almost shut down my kidney. The pain ppl go through with stones is horrible. When I went into the ER I was screaming n pain and couldnt walk or stand up completely. After the surgery I was on percocets for pain every 4 hours or needed for pain and i barley took them untill i had the stint taken out. then a day later I stopped all togther. Then the next month I had an other large stone and another surgery and had percocets and a stint. Then I went 3 months without any stones...now I have 48 kidney stones and I'm trying to pass them w/o getting surgery so I'm on percocets. somedays I have to take them every 2 hours for pain b/c i dont want to go to the hospital but then sometimes I dont take them at all all day. But its horrible b/c im working full time and going to school to be a doctor and when I cant walk somedays without them it depresses me. Some ppl cant do anything but take them. But last time I went to the hospital they accused me off being addicted b/c all the cases that has been going through lately, then they got the CT scan back and the doctor apologized for saying that and making me wait for any pain killer. I hate when ppl act like they r n horrible pain to get drugs when they dont know what pain even is. I fear all the time that I might become addicted to this pills b/c how much I have to take them sometimes..but I have no choice to take them. Junkies have the choice to take them...they dont need them and they need to come clean now. It isnt fair to the rest of us that cant help it. I went one day to the ER for kidney stones and a lady was there and said she needed pain medicine b/c her back hurt alittle. Then she got pissed off b/c they took me back before her since she was there first. I blew a gasket on her b/c what she said to me...she said that "kidney stones cant hurt that much" when I'm sitting there almost crying from pain and i cant walk and can barely even talk or concentrate on anything, and she tells me it cant hurt that bad. Passing a kidney stone is compared to giving birth to a 10lb baby naturally with no meds. And I know that first hand b/c when I had my first surgery my room mate had twins then a stone and she said she would prefer giving birth again then trying to pass a stone anyday, nothing hurts like this. But I know that things happen to ppl and I'm not hear to judge anyone...but ppl that can help this and takes them for the feeling that it gives them..thats a horrible reason, it isnt fair to us that cant help this and needs them. So please dont abuse prescriptions or any type of drug. Some ppl have to take them to help with serious problems. But if u think u r addicted and u dont think u can get off of them go to the doctor and explain to him/her...doctors aent there to judge but to give help. They can help u get off of them. Good luck everyone!!! :-D :-D

Well I had been on percoset for about 4 years, on and off because of a totally blown out right knee. I'm a left above knee amputee, lost my leg in a motorcycle accident 30 years ago, and now my right knee is done, having been doing all the work for the last thirty years (im 56). I was also an avid runner for the first 20 of those thirty years since the accident, Terry Fox style, and that no doubt has contributed to my right knee problems. All i can say is running seemed like a good idea at the time . i was doing about 10 miles a week, in three runs and loved it until my knee finally said ENOUGH!.

I haven't had a pill in two weeks today. I feel fine, but i weened myself off them. I was prescribed upto 6 a day of the 5/325 pills and i was taking as many as 10-15 to try and retain some mobility (be careful of the acetaminophen content, you can overdose on that without knowing it until its too late). I was taking that level of meds for about the last 6 months with the "help" of a "friend" as I was not being prescribed that much. I quote those two words as i now realize this friend wasn't really helping me at all....but i digress.

I'm going in for total Knee replacement surgery on july 28. I wanted to be off the drugs for at least a couple of weeks before that, as my surgeon tells me this is "very painful surgery" and even have offered me the use of a morphine pump. this tells me he ain't kiddin about the pain. :( i wanted to be sure the pain medication they give me will have some chance of working after the surgery, rather than going into that surgery taking the amount of percs i was and finding the morphine pump to be useless because of my tolerance.

to those that are hooked on percs, you can get off, but you need to ween yourself off and that takes some willpower. Don't stop cold turkey if you're taking as much as i was or more. Worst thing you can do and its totally unnecessary. confess your problems to a wife, husband, g/f, b/f, doctor, priest, whatever and have them control your meds for you if you don't have the willpower to do it yourself.

but don't lose hope. I've been off them for two weeks now, I'm not depressed and feel fine. I felt a little lousy for three-four days as i weened myself off them, nothing real serious, some mild flue like symptoms and just a constant craving for the drug and the pain releif it does offer. nothing that would keep me away from work or anything.

my only problem now is my knee hurts like hell "chronically" as they like to say in the med profession and I'm NOT looking forward to this surgery. Given i only have one knee, having it replaced represents a little more serious risk than if you have two. The prospect of something going wrong with this surgery, however slight, gives me significant pause. :(

(THE SECRET FOR GETTING OFF OF PERCOCET WITH NO WITHDRAWL)............What Meth clinics dont want you to know......

I was on percocet for 10 years.I can count on one hand only how many times I tried to quit.Only becaise I was sick of bring tired all the time.Each time I got off except once I stayed off until for a few months then got back on them due to deppression.Only once I went cold turky.I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THAT AT ALL.If you have the resourses to get the drugs in the first place you probably know seedy characters that can aquire a bottle of methadone.Not the pill.

Each time I got off it was painless and no big deal I was done.

Here is the dose for this to work effectivly with no withdraw symptoms at all.

This will get you off with no pain!!!!!!

Listen closley and take no more than what I am about to tell you or you will develop another habit in place or with the one you have already.....

Doses of methadone.... now I was taking up to 10 a day of the 5s so unless you down 20 or 30 5s a day you should be fine

Day 1.....get your bottle of meth take 1 teaspoon in the morning that you quit.if your good through the afternoon cool if not 1 half teaspoon.then one at night before bed.

day 2..... 1 teaspoon of meth in the morning one full teaspoon at lunch because your 2nd day is the worst out of the 3 day process.then 1 before bed.

day 3...... Your almost home the withdrawl is nearly gone as far as the sweats and aches. 1 half teaspoon in the morning and 1 half before bed. after that YOU ARE DONE... Throw the rest of the meth down the toilet or you will be addicted I can promise you that!!!!!

The 4 day you are going to have the meth in you for three days after the last dose so things will appear fine however on that 4 day after your last dose of meth you will feel some discomfort.for body aches take very hot baths I promise it will help you however the sweats and the pain will be GONE.Drink lots and lots of water and stay active work out. Just deal with the deppression the best way you can.get support maybe na or you will be back on them I can assure you. Good luck to all of you......

I am 34. I had a back injury 10 yrs ago. I have had L-3 thru S-1 fused together. I have had 2 major back surgies and countless procedures. I was on oxycotin after my 1st surgery. The dr. tapered me off with very minimal withrawls. After my second surgery in April 2005 i started on 10/325mg percocet. I was on the percs, oxycotin, ativan, phenegran, flexiril, and wellbuterin all at once 2 yrs ago. It was horrible. I weaned myself off of everything but the percs. I have been prescribed 180 percs a month since then. I have taken up to 12-14 a day to 1 or 2 a day. Today, 1-6-2010 is my first full day without any percs. My purse was stolen yesterday with my new bottle. I figured this is a sign and its time to get off of them. Percocet ruined my 10 yr marriage. We have 3 children. My husband started taking my percocet over a year ago. I was hiding them from him. He was stealing them then lying to me. It got so bad that he was lying about everything. He was taken them and giving them to my cousin that he worked with. My cousin has moved on from pills to heroin.
Percocets can be good and bad. I'm not liking these withdrawl symptoms. I'm in a lot of pain and feel very weak. I have the chills and are very nausated. I had very weird vivid dreams last night.
My question is, will the pain start to subside? My back and legs are killing me. I am a single mom with 3 children, 10, 9 and 6. Please tell me that things will get better soon. I have no desire to be on them.. I want to get my energy back, start strengthening my body and getting healthy. thanks Danielle

I have been taking percocet for variouse reasons over the years....I guess the truth is I have become addicted without realizing it. I was told after an MRI that I had the neck of a 70 year old woman ( and I am only 39) and that eventually I would need surgery. However I am scared to go under the knife. Sometimes its not that bad (the pain) at others it is. Then about 3 years ago my son was diagnosised with lupus, at 15 and slipped into a coma for over a week on life support. I developed insomnia from the stress and started using the percocet, and/or vicodin I had in my medicine cabinet to help me relax an sleep. I never thought that I had an addiction until reading the stories here. I WANT OUT...but it has gotten to the point that I cant sleep at night w/o taking them, and YES I get the hot/cold flashes as well. I am a person of faith, and I believe God can do anything. I angry at myself for allowing something like this control me....I need help..and I am definetely gonna talk candidly to my DR at my next visit about gettting me off...right now I get 60 a month 5/325 and 60 valium as well..(to help with the neck spasms)..I took my last pill this morning...so I guess I will be experiencing the ugly withdrawl symptoms tyou all have been talking about soon...anyone who believes in prayer, PLEASE pray for me...while I go through these withdrawls. Is there anything I can do to help ease them until my DRs Appt?

I was prescribed 10 500 percosets 180 a month oxy cotton 80 milligrams tablets 4 * a day hydromorphone 8 milligram tablets 8 * today oxymorphone 10 milligram immediate release 5 * a day and for otp anna 40 milligram extended release 5 times a day. It's in the will of the person I've been taking all these medications for over 10 years with exception to be up an addition which was in the last 6 years. As well I was on xanax valium adderall methadone a whole list of ads I went cold turkey it took me about 30 days to get over the physical withdrawals do to that the down in some of the other medications the mental side took me about 3 months.