Hello all. I am a 25 year old woman who was recently in a bad car accident and have been taking up to 100 mg (yes, 100 mg) of Percocet per day (the minimum I take is 60 mg per day) for my injuries. Obviously this is not what I am prescribed, and I know that's bad...but unfortunately since I was a little girl my tolerance has always been extremely high and one pain pill just does not even come close to taking care of the pain for me. Addiction (especially to pain pills) runs in my family, and although I know I am using the Percocet at this very moment in time for a legit reason, I feel like I have been on it longer than I should and I am worried about weaning off of it. I know doing that w/out a doctor's help can prove to be life-threatening and will definitely cause severe sickness. My mother was addicted to Lortab and weaned herself off about a month ago. She said the withdrawal symptoms she experienced were the worst feelings she has ever had. It scares me to no end to think that I will end up the same way, and although I still have pain, I do want to stop taking medication. With my tolerance so high, I wish I was able to take 800mg Ibuprofen and get some relief from that and not have to take any pain medication. I am only prescribed 10mg Percocet every 4-6 hours and really my prescription should be up, but I have been "borrowing" quite a few from my aunt whom is also prescribed them (like I said, addiction runs in the family).

My worst fear is that I will end up like my aunt or my mom (thankfully she finally got off them...for now and hopefully for good!) I want to have a family one day and would be devastated to have problems getting pregnant or with the baby from pain pill usage, or really any narcotic usage at all. My boyfriend does NOT like me taking all these meds and I don't blame him. It makes you a different person. My main question to you all is, how do I safely come off of them without dealing with withdrawals as badly as I normally would? Can I substitue a Percocet for a couple Valium, which I am prescribed for bad general anxiety disorder (from a different doctor--my psychiatrist). I am very scared to tell my doctor how much I've been taking and that I need help, mainly because I am going through a messy lawsuit with the woman who hit me in the car accident and I fear that anything bad could be used against me, when I was not at fault. My orthopedic surgeon who prescribed the Percocet also prescribed Skelaxin as a muscle relaxer, however I rarely use that because it doesn't really work due to my tolerance. If I were to slowly take less Percocet and replace it with Skelaxin and/or Valium, would my results of coming off the Percocet and not having as bad of withdrawls be better? I am frightened to no end about this situation and will be the first to admit that I, too, have become addicted to this pain medicine far too quickly and I am very upset about it. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated--I am young and hopefully with God's blessing I have a long life ahead of me to live. Thanks!

before i can help i need to know how long youve been taking the pain meds

Jennifnutta, I have been taking them for roughly 5-6 months now. I started off taking almost the prescribed dosage (one or two pills more per day) and it has just increased since.

I have been taking percs for 3 mos now. It went from 7.5mg to 30mg a day. Ive only taken the 30mg in the last 2 weeks and then last week i had had enough. I did 7.5 a day to taper down slowly the last week, but now i have run out and am wondering how long i mite have stomach issues and body pain? Granted i havent been on them that long in comparison to others, i assume it works the same on ur brain.

for two yrs