I have been taking percocet regularlly for a painful condition that I have. The last few months I have noticed that my regular dose of 1-2 pills every 4 hours isn't working any more. I would normally not take anymore than 3 a day. Lately I have been taking up to 6 a day and I realized that I must stop. The pills are not working for the pain, and I need them just to do basic things. I have been off the pills now for 4 days, and I haven't been able to work, sleep or do much of anything. I have tons of pain through my whole body (not my normal pain) and lots of flu like symptoms. I am wondering if I should have slowly gone off the pills, instead of just stopping all together. How long will this last for, and if I can have someone hand out smaller doses to me is this better? Any help would be great. I am just confused and sick of feeling this way.

The pain you are experiening is because of the pain medication, it is a withdrawl symptom. you should def. not try to stop taking the pain medication all at once it is dangerous and really sucks. take lower and lower doses every day. percs are very addicting I am actually fighting this addiction right now. Trust me praying for will power do get off of them does work...

I have been taking percocet for several years, but never more than 50mg a day. I had back surgery last year that resolved the issue of pain that I was experiencing. Since that time I have been gradually reducing the amount of percocet until I can now get by on 5mg per day (half of a 10/325, cut into 1/4ths, one in A.M. and one in P.M.) Throughout this reduction time I have had constant feelings of nervousness, anxiety, irritability, but not unbearable. This year, in April, I was asked to take a urine test, which came back negative, even though I had taken 15mg of Perc that morning. A follow-up blood serum test also came back negative, even though I had taken at least 10mg that morning. The implications of these false negatives are obvious, "I must be selling, or distributing my drugs, because I am not taking them." OH YES I AM TAKING THEM. THE TESTS ARE FLAWED. Anyway, I was thankful that in the months previous to these
inaccurate test results, I had reduced my dose to 30mg per day. And have now reduced them as described above. My Primary Care Physician now refuses to treat me. I'm not sure where i will obtain my other medications, anti-depressant, sleep aids, and restless leg syndrome relief. I'm 70 years old, have never done anything illegal in my life, and now feel like a criminal. Good luck on your withdrawal. It can be done!

I am so sorry. The same thing happened to me. so... I changed Drs. and looked for one that specialized in pain management. This can be so humiliating - all I want is to stop HURTING. I wish they could give us all a lie detector test. I'd be first in line. Good Luck and if you find the "magic answer" let us know. I'm setting tired of all this. Best of Luck and may You soon be Pain FREE!