Hi, my friend was complaining on pain in his legs for several months. He told me that he felt burning pain especially during the night. He has diabetes for a long time so he decided to visit his doctor and consult about this pain in his legs. Doctor told him that he is suffering from peripheral neuropathy and prescribed him some medications. I would like to know how peripheral neuropathy occurs.

Hi, on the periphery of our body nerves are much thinner than the nerves near spine. Also blood vessels which are supplying these nerves are much smaller. If there are some damages on blood vessels nerves will suffer from low oxygen supply and it will cause their damaging. As your friend is suffering from diabetes his blood vessels are not in some great condition so probably that is the reason for peripheral neuropathy.