I'm 20 years old,and ever since i can remeber iv had itchy skin.My skin would get so itchy i would bleed.My mom would take me to doctors and they would give me itching cream but it never worked,so i would still itch and then it would bleed,scab over and everytime i would have to pick at the scab and eat it....i dont know why...its been that way forever... since then i have scars on almost every part of my body that i can reach,it makes me feel so ugly but its my own falt,i just cant stop.I sometimes dont even realize im doing it.Iv even started scraching at my scalp untill it bleeds...Im unsure if i do it as a coping thing because im always stressed and have issues with stress.

Im in a relationship now and i havnt told him about this.My family doesnt even know.When i was young i used to be a cutter but i stopped and iv read that picking at your scabs can be a form of self mutilation and maybe all along iv been doing it for stress but never noticed. I feel like a freak,im scared that i'll never be able to stop.I just want to know if anyone...anyone at all can help me...i want to stop this horrible habbit...everyday im remided of it by my scars....im worried that when im married my husband wont want to touch me because of my scars....i need help please help me....

Hey i have ezcma and it is really bad your not the only one worring 

hey blue,

have you ever tried to stop? did you succeed? because what you are describing to me sounds a lot like obsessive-compulsive tendencies, although that may not be the case.

i eat my scabs sometimes for fun, but i never have a lot and i dont obsess over it. i have really dry skin sometimes i scratch enough that it bleeds but i have allergies and sometimes it causes my skin to itch and oftentimes i dont bother with the envy of scratching, it subsides anyway in several seconds.

have you ever heard of OCD? its worth checking out.

regards, take care.

Well it is very cool to have such a nice source of information with us it will really help us thanks for such a useful info...

I also pick my scabs and eat them. It is so disturbing and embarrassing . I am bipolar and have depression and anxiety and I'm curious if these might be why I have this nasty habit. I notice I do it more so while my anxiety and stress level is very high!

Hi im 19 and have been doing this since the age of three, i have a girlfriend who is 23 years older than me and we have been together for a year. She has always known about my scab picking issues and i have always been open about it. She has always told me that she fell in love with the person i am and although it breaks her heart to see me bleed constantly and have hundreds of infections every other week, she has expressed to me that i will always be beautiful to her. The other day i gained enough courage to admit to her that i too pick my scabs and eat them, her reactions was as i expected she was grossed out and made a funny face however, she instantly hugged me and said she will love me no matter what. I am personally embarrassed by my own appearance i have 36 scabs ranging from head to toe. Before now i have never seen it as a problem and when i was younger i too used to self harm by burning myself with cigarettes. I have been researching about the constant skin picking i have, its called Dermatillomania- i thought i was the only one who did this however ive found im not alone. And after doing much research i can see that there are very successful hypnosis treatments to help. However the only catch is, for it to work you have to want to be helped. As for your boyfriend, you need to tell him the truth, it will be much harder for you to deal with this alone, and if he thinks any less of you for it then he obviously couldnt see past your appearnce but if he kisses you and reassures you there is nothing in the world that would change his view of you then you have the support and motivation to quit for him! xxxxx

I am 52 years old and have been picking my scabs and eating them for as long as I remember. I thought I was alone, and surprised to find that I am not. I too try to hide it but my husband knows I pick but don't think he knows I eat them. I have many scars and hat that I can't let things heal. Right now I have a sore on my head and have picked it so much that I have taken hair out with it. I hope that I can find a way to stop....I am a very happy person and very active in my church, I guess there must be stress that I don't know I have!

i have eczama too and it turned into sores.Then i started eating them and enjoying it.Now i scratch myself to death and eat my scabs.I Feel u.

If you soak the area in epsom salt and warm/hot water for about 10-15 min that really helps. you can actually get rid of it all together if you do it regularly. It did it for me!!

Hello everyone,
I would just like to chime in about the hypnosis part of the comments as I am a hypnotist. You are right Sara, it is something you have to want. I am about to treat a woman through hypnosis that has had this issue for over 40 years. She will come for her first appointment on Wednesday. She does want this treatment as she is embarrassed and would like to wear short sleeves and not feel ashamed any longer. None of you are alone in this. There are underlying reasons she has this condition and as with any hypnosis session I will work with her first on Self Esteem and confidence so she will find success. Good luck to all of you, and if you do want to stop, please consider hypnosis as an option.