Hi, little by little I have become a compulsive scab picker. I can’t stop doing that, even that I know how ugly those scars look like. There are all over my body and face. Is this OCD?

Hi, I know what are you going through. I keep picking scabs on my body since I was 21. A doctor told me I’m probably suffering from OCD, but he never officially diagnosed me, because this was the only symptom that I had. Fortunately, I don’t pick scabs on my face, I manage to control myself not to do that. I was so embarrassed when I had to take my clothes off in front of my girlfriend. I thought she would run away when she sees the scabs on my arms and legs. Every evening I promise myself that the next day will also be the first day of my recovery, and that I won’t even think about picking. However, I never manage to realize that plan.

I have them all over my legs. It is so embarrassing being the only girl at a cocktail party with pants. I want to tell my mom, but I'm afraid she'll be really dissapointed with me. My brother is the only person who knows. I really want to get something to get rid of these scars.

I just wanted to Respond to this. Im actually pretty young, 17. And Just realized, all these years I have always picked, scabs. I bite my nails, though not as cronicly. But I always thought its just becauase, well I don't konw what I thought. I just do it. Anytime, on my face. I pick pimples scars anything. And Im starting to worry now that somthing is wrong with me. I was rolling in the grass the other day and got millons of Misquito bites. This is like a field day for me. I itched them to the point of scaring and I cant stop picking at them. ENough that the scars are starting to grow. It dosn't matter the pain. I just pull it untill the scar is off. I dont know if in my mind im thinking its better with out the scar or somthing but. And I don't go and, Hide it really. If I have scars on my ankles from it, I will still wear shorts or somthing. And I after thinking about it, pick scars somwhat publicly. Like if im in class. I will reach down to my ankles and pick a scar, or check to see if a scar has grown over to peel it.
Well Im rambling but I wanted to know if anyone had to, get any sort of medicine, if they know of any facts about this or anything. Please help. Thank you

-Tell Sell.

Just like TellSell, I am also of a young age, only 15. I have been picking scabs on my body for at least two years now. My main trouble spot is my scalp. It's just so incredibly addictive. I usually starts out with getting a sunburnt scalp, and i can't stand it when the skin peels so i pick it out. But sometimes i pick to deep and cause it to bleed. And thus starts the addiction. After several months, can be up to six, sometimes even more, i get rid of the scabs and are left with scars. But in a little while I get sunburnt again and the viscious cycle begins.

I cam generally refrain from picking my face as I realise how ugly the scars would look. But, say when i get an mosquito bite, say on my legs, I pick and pick and pick. and I have many scars already one both of my legs. I'm still confident wearing short shorts, and I suppose that is something but I know i'll never have perfect legs now which can become very degrading.

I've heard about OCD and have read several forums speaking about OCD and scab picking. I don't just pick scabs, that's one of a few habits. I've also biten and eaten fingernails for years, i pick my nose and eat the mucus and I'll eat the scabs that I pick off also. I feel that I may have OCD as I do all of these things but I'm never really sure and am way too embarassed to anyone these things.

What do you think?

I'm 17. I've been picking scabs and EATING them, in addition to biting my nails since I was atleast 8 years old. Personally, i don't know what triggers this behavior but from my research its either OCD< or a result from profound depression. I only know several possible traumatic reasons that may have caused this behavior in myself.

i have the smae thing. its like there are just these black spots all over my body! i don't wear shorts, or short sleves. it's so embarassing. and my mind is tell me that i have 2 stop, but it's usually right after the scab is off.

but i really wanna know what i should do to get rid of the scars. for me they take years o fade away, depending on how dark they are. i have 5 from 5 years ago!

any ideas?

i have a problem with scabs all over my legs,
im 17 and i hate it... i have so many scars, and everytime a new scabs appear i cant help but pick it.. which then leads to more, does anyone know how to help?? get rid of the scars? or to stop me picking??
please

thank you x

I know what you mean.
I can not stop picking even though i know it look horrible, and i am a light caramel skin tone so my scars turn way darker than me. my boyfriend thinks i should drink more water haha (i though that was funny) but even if i did, if i get the smallest scratch i will pick it til its big enough to have fun with. i have scars all over my face from popping pimples and picking them. everyone thinks im so pretty. i get attention everywhere i go. but once iget home and take off the make up, its not the same lol. they dont see my scars cause i where concealer and foundation and even powder at times, i even use body makeup to cover scars on my body.
i have no idea why i pick pick and pick. im 23 now and have been picking since i can remember. my dad use to think that by him putting alcohol on everything i picked that i would stop, but ii never did. i try to convince myself not to pick the next one, but im sure i will. dont know if i'd step outside if all the makeup in the world was gone forever! lol seriously

this sucks...what is this?!?! 8)

Hey guys, I completely understand where you guys are coming from, I'm a 19 year old girl and every since I was really little I've been picking at my scabs, and it's so crazy cuz I kno it will result in an unsightly scar, I'm mixed with black and fillipino, so I'm caramel complected, which means my scars appear a lot darker than my skin tone, and the majority on my legs, THAT I DONT WANT but I continue to do it anyway, I thought i would have grown out of this by now, but apparently I haven't. I always tell myself "last one" but it never ends. I HATE the way the scars look. I dunno y i do it, I guess I jus like the feeling it gives me, it's not painful I don't feel anything but a tingle. and some kinda way i guess i get a sick pleasure from watching the blood. You'd prob never guess I would do something like this from my personality or overall appearance HOWEVER i do kno you can use MEDERMA to treat scars, the only prob 4 me is, it takes A LONG TIME for it to fade the scars. and personally I can never remember to use it like ur suppose to...2-3 times a day everyday i think, and depending on the scar it could take months to fade away. You can find it at pretty much any store, pharmacy, wal mart, u guys kno :) Anywayz, goodluck with everything u guys, hope I've been some sort of help :)

This should sound familiar ... I haven't worn shorts in 2 years, I live at the beach, but haven't put on a bathing suit in 2 years. I always make excuses for why I can't go out on the boat with everyone that day or how I'm too busy to have drinks at the beach bar ... pretty much how I have to say "I would rather sit at home and pick at my legs than have a real social life." Oh, how I miss that social life! I have olive skin and scar darker.

The first problem with my own thoughts of "blending" the scars with the rest of my skin was going to a tanning bed. I thought 'hey, if i tan my legs it will just cover up the scars and all is well." WRONG - tanning a scar is like adding a year minimun to it's staying power. It's like zapping it to be permanent!

DON'T LET YOUR SCARS SEE THE SUN WITHOUT SUNSCREEN!!!

EXFOLIATE!!! USE A LUFA AND DAILY EXFOLIATOR ... NEW, UNSCARRED SKIN IS IN THERE ... YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT.

Below are some tips that are the best I have found ... everyone's skin is different so one that works for me might be the wrong one for you.

- Scars tend to be more noticeable on pale skin. You can combat this with a safe self-tanner. You could also buy a natural redness - countering concealer.

- Neosporin is ideal for speeding up healing time thus causing lesser scarring. There is also Neosporin Scar Solution.

- You can use plain yogurt to help fade scars. Apply twice daily. It will moisturize your face, purify it and your skin will heal much faster.

- Apply aloe vera or vitamin E; it will speed up the healing process.

- Cocoa butter is a rich moisturizer that is very effective.

- Try Palmer's Scar Serum. It contains Cocoa butter, Vitamin E, Shark Liver Oil,, Silicone and Allium CEPA and is around $15 available from most chemists.

- Use lemon on scars daily. But use moisturizer before going to bed as the lemon may cause dry skin.

- Honey Mixed with lemon & almond oil and milk = acne free

- Moisture helps scars heal, so be sure to moisturize. (but be careful of heavy moisturizers that can clog pores)

- Do TCA peels of 12% three weeks apart. Amazing, effective, and inexpensive.

I found these and other tips at
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Scars-and-Cuts-Left-by-Acne

My arms are the main part of my body covered in scars! I played sports allot when I was a kid and also played in pools allot which always caused my scabs to become soft and I'd pick them off...
Well, allot of my scars are cool! I have one that looks EXACTLY like a knife! And another that is the exact symbol for wavelength! (A greek symbol used in science!) I also have some that look as if baby dolls came up and gave my arms permanent kisses! The one I like most was because of surgery I had on my right arm (which caused it to lose 28 or 32% of its original functioning) and allot of kids are so dumb they think I committed suicide!
XD
my knees are also scarred and I have a few scars on my breasts (because of the many stray dogs/cats and the chickens I've had as pets!)
But, I enjoy my scars because they make me look tough!

I don't really think my scab picking is extremely bad but sometimes its just so hard to leave the scar there especially if it itches or something like that.

im and ive been doing that to since i was like 11, i hate it cause even if i just have a little scab i keep picking it and it ends up being a big scar, even though i no ill end up with a scar i can stop myself from doing it, i get really embarrass when people see my legs and i have scars all down them.

Hey everyone,

Im 20 years old and I have had a problem with scab picking as long as I can remember. When i was in Elementary school (this was not my first scab picking experience just one i remember well) I was unlocking my bike so I could put it into my moms car I stepped in a huge ant pile and had probably 20 big bites on my legs. Even though I knew that youre not supposed to itch ant bites I could not help it and so I itched them until they bled and formed scabs.
I was embarassed about the huge scabs on my legs but couldnt stop and tried to hide them by pulling my socks up. Even in the middle of class i would get bored and start to pick trying to make sure that no one saw me. The scabs would last weeks and weeks. I picked them so much that they were no longer flat but like little pits in my skin.
My parents were worried and my dad (who is a doctor) made me put neosporin on them but I would only wipe it off. I dont get as many scabs on my legs now that I am older but I pick at the edges of my nails forming scabs there.
Also when it gets cold I am terrible about picking my lips. Then they form scabs which turn black and areextremely obvious. since scabs on your lips are a lot harder to hide then scabs on your legs I pick the scabs off so it isnt as noticable. People are constantly telling me that my lips are bleeding. Its so sad because I want to stop especially when i look at my legs and arms and can see scars that are from scabs i had 10 years ago and will probably never go away.