I am 13 and female, and got my tonsils out on monday morning; it is now midday Thursday. That makes it...day 4 I think. Anyways, I have questions about the scab. I have read some pretty bad horror stories on here about it coming off. I read to not eat toast because it will scratch the scab and cause bleeding problems. Well, read my username - I freak out easily. If I bled - well, it wouldn't be pretty, and I've already eaten three pieces of toast. I am trying to avoid it at all costs. Please answer the poll to let me know how frequently the different ways of scabs coming off occur.
If I start bleeding, what do I do? My throat specialist that performed the operation is not available until Tuesday next week, so who would I call? The hospital, 911? And what do do in the meantime? All I know what to do so far is to try and say as calm as possible. My scab - well, parts of my scab - started kind of..drooping off yesterday. I know that sounds wierd, but I started panicking thinking it was coming off, and also thinking "Well it shouldn't be coming off this early at all! ....Right?" Well, should it? And what happened afterwards? Well, just kept drinking and eating popsicles and such, and I think I swallowed the droop. Dx So I think it's back to 'normal'.
When should the scab come off? How? Will it hurt more? What will it look like? Should I sleep upright? What should I eat and what shouldn't I eat to have the scab come off properly? Thank you, please write back soon (:

Hi FreakerOuter! I know that someone just posted a guide on how he lost his tonsils so if you do a quick search in the forums you can see exactly when he lost everything. His scabs apparently didn't come out until he was at his second week so it's possible for you to lose it anywhere between now and then. I think it might be a good idea for you to stick to softer foods in the meantime instead of toast, okay? It will help keep you fromf reaking out. Keep me posted okay?

Thanks (: I think my scab will come out earlier though because I keep coughing to clear the phlem when I'm not supposed to. ): I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks for keeping me posted! Also, if you can, try not to live up to your forum name. Just stay calm and don't let panic get the better of you. Just take deep breaths and try to keep from popping the scabs out early. It will be worth your while, I assure you! :-) And again, keep me posted! Thanks.

Well, I'm here to update. It is now day 5 and I woke up this morning with a dry throat from 9 and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep. It wasn't good. My ears were hurting but it had happened before and I know that it's supposed to happen. I went downstairs and by then I had already been drinking water to moisten my throat. A few minuted later my ears got worse along with my throat and being the wimp I am I started crying. After laying in bed and watching tv for and hour or so, Everything was bearable, and here I am. I've been eating pudding more, my grandma made it for me so It's got extra eggs or something for protein...or something that's good for me. It's really good so I think I'm gonna start living off of it now xD.
So yeah, my scab hasn't really changed. I think it may have rubbed off a little in the back but it's not easy to see so I'm not positive.

Not like anyone reads this or cares, but I'm gonna keep updating. Well, today is day 6 on my little road to recovery. My scab has rubbed off near the top. It's getting little spots or red all over. Like, tiny - specs. But you can tell that if it rubs off a little more it will bleed so I'm...freaking out. Well not really freaking out as much as I'm worried. Really worried.

People do read this and care! Not every day, not always, but people will come here to see how your'e doing. How is your pain level doing? Are you still worried or are you able to keep yourself calm as these changes take place? Let me know how you're doing, okay?

I'm doing alright now. It only bled one or two times and it wasn't much. I went out for lunch yesterday and had a quesadilla. I can eat a lot more solid foods now. I've still got a little bit of scab left, it basically rubbed off. The worst times are the mornings when my throat had just dried out from sleeping. The pain isn't bad. So I think I'm good now (:

Thats great! Im glad you're getting better. I just had mine out 4 days ago so I know what you've been through. Thanks for posting. eading your post helped me a lot so far. Still worried about the scab but I'm sure it'll be fine soon.

Thanks! :-)

I'm on day 4 of recovery at the moment, and yesterday I was happy as the pain was subsiding. However, last night, be it through dehydration or the scabs forming, I woke up in agony. I tried to force down a glass of water but could only get through half of it due to the pain. I'm really looking forward to the scab lifting so I can eat some solid foods- thus far it has been a solid diet of ice-cream, Slurpees (really good for getting the swelling down) and soups. I had an omelette last night, but I'm not counting that as a victory, as this morning it feels like I had a plate of broken glass and barbed wire.

Thanks FreakerOuter your journal is helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, you should def go back to soft foods ONLY. I am post op day 9 now, and had been feeling fine, so had pizza for luch yesterday. Well, i woke up choking on my own blood in the middle of the night cuz my throat was bleeding so bad. The ice water thing didn't work. Spent all night in the ER, and it would stop, but then start up again. So my Dr took me right back to the OR to re-cauterize it. You should DEFINITELY STILL BE ONLY EATING SOFT FOODS on day four, and for many more days. Trust me, better safe than sorry, like me.

I'm on day 7. My doctor told me that even though it might hurt I should be eating pretty normal foods by now, it will help heal things faster in the long run. However, water is very important to drink after eat bite, it will keep things flowing. My scabs have not fallen off completely yet, the parts that have are a little raw and tender at first but just keeping chewing and it will strenghten those muscles and in no time the rest of the scabs will fall off and you will feel much better. Aye it is about 7days-2wks of hell but in the end it is worth it.

I am 17 and i got my tonsils taken out. Yesterday was day 6 for me. My throat hadn't really been hurting very bad at all and i was STARVING! So i thought it would be ok to eat some solid food as long as i chewed it up real good. The day before i had been picking up a kid we were baby sitting and my mom thinks that that raised my blood pressure and put me at risk.
So yesterday after i was eating solid food i noticed that my scabs were gone and my throat was really bloody. i drank lots of ice water and got it to stop bleeding but when i woke up this morning it was bleeding again. Ice water did stop it but im afraid of choking on my blood in my sleep or something. Is this normal? What should i do? We called the ER and they didnt know. (yeah big help right?) Im kinda freaking out...

Hi My son is eight and his tosilectomy and adenoidectomy was done on Tuesday. My brother Peter and I've discovered that pure coconut water (chilled) without added sugars and solids, hydrates you, nourishes with vitamins& mineral, soothens the wounds. Second thing, Ensure, a complete balanced milky drink can be used by adults as meal replacement and PEDIA SURE for kids. These both coconut water, ENSURE along with water has given me very good results instead of useless , sugar filled products which were irritating his throat

I can totally relate to that! I'm 16 years old, female, and had mine out about 2 weeks ago. Everything was doing fine and I was slowly going back to solid foods since the pain wasn't even there anymore. Bad choice. I went to spend the night at my best friends house when we decided to order Pizza. I noticed something dripping down my throat and it tasted foul. I went to the bathroom to spit and it was blood. I stopped eating Pizza and decided to have chicken noodle soup instead. About a half hour after I started to bleed again, but this time it was like a river of blood coming out of my mouth along with non-stop gagging. After I was done chugging down ice water it stopped. My mother picked me up with my prescription nausea medication, since all the blood made me want to vomit. When I got home, the same thing happened AGAIN. I have a thyroid issue, so it causes major anxiety so I was non-stop shaking and had to take a tranquilizer to cal myself down & get to sleep. I would NOT want this to happen to anybody who has just had their tonsils out so PLEASE stick to SOFT FOOD. Also, to keep the scabs as thin as possible, my doctor recommended ice water. I don't plan on having sold foods until my scabs are completely gone, it was literally one of the worst nights of my life so PLEASE be careful!