i had my tonsils removed last wed. so that makes today day 6 and the pain has been awful from day 2-5 and was pretty bad earlier today but isn't as bad anymore. i spit up a little bit of blood mixed with spit earlier and was wondering if that means the scabs are comming off? also is all the white stuff scab or is that just mucus that stays there while its healing? how can you tell if the scabs are about to come off? any answers would be really appreciated. thanks!!!!!! :-)

Hey check this web site out. It tells you about the white scabs.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Don’t worry about your recovery that much. As far as I can tell you are healing very well and before your regular checkup you will be almost healed. It is normal that the white scabs fall off between day five and day 6 but this depend on your organism and because every person is different you can’t say what is going to happen in your case. Anyway stich with your soup diet and take painkillers if you are feeling the need to and everything else will come as it should.

Meanwhile avoid to eat solid food because you could hurt yourself and this could lead to some unwanted bleeding which is more scary than it is dangerous but still.. good luck

Hi I'm 24 and I am currently on day 5 (when counting the day of the operation) and I can see that I'm eating slightly differently to you all. I'm english but are having my tonsillectomy In germany as the medical system here is brilliant. Anyway to the point, since the day after my OP they got me to eat bread rolls, crackers and hard foods (normal food) and the pain when trying to eat these foods is insane. On a scale of 1-10 on the pain scale I've been around 6-8. 10 being the worst pain. The back of my tongue on either side hurts anytime I eat and of course the obvious area is so painful. I was told by my doctor that the more I eat crackers, biscuits, bread and other foods like this, the quicker the recovery. Coming on to the scabbing I am inquisitive and I like to look and it's not a nice thing to see in the back of your throat. These huge white mucus looking scabs. I am too very scared about what happens when they fall off! I have yet to find out. The only advice I would give is just constantly hydrate your throat. It may lesson the urge to cough therefore minimising the risk of bleeding. It's really demotivating when on day 2 you feel great and then day 4 and day 5 is hurrendous! It really is a roller coaster of pain. Apparently from day8-9 onwards the pain should ease off. But if you guys are only eating soft foods it probably will be longer as it's the hard foods that scrape the scabs off. Sounds so disgusting I know. We can do this. Try to stay positive and eat what you can. Use those painkillers and drink lots. Get well soon everyone :)