I have developed a fatty liver, though I never took a drop of an alcoholic drink! How the hell could that happen to me then? Also, my GGT level is high, which, as I've been said, refers to the alcohol, but again, my cousins don’t believe me and laugh when I start talking about my sobriety. So, maybe you know the reasons why; but, please be serious with the poor old diabetic!

You mentioned yourself the possible cause of your disorder: it is diabetes. It is rare, but it happens that those who abstain from alcohol, especially diabetics, can also get steatosis – which is another name for fatty liver. Also, GGT increasing can be a sign of different disorders, unrelated to the alcohol… But you shouldn't start worrying about it, at least not before you achieve the other tests: you should take a careful drug and alcohol history, and a family one, you should test all of your cousins, because this disorder is highly inheritable. In case that the hepatitis is suspected, you should be tested for autoantibodies, but above everything, you should start exercising and avoiding heavy food. That is the easiest way to avoid a nickname Nash (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis).

Hi Goy,

I had a high readings in GGT too... Just because I don't smoke, drink & with healthy lifestyle, doctor suspected that I had a gallstones and wanted me to redo the LFT (Liver Function Test) after 2 months. So, I started to adjust my diet by eliminating sugar & starch from my diet and replace it with green fresh vege & fish/some lean meat(grill), consume more EFAs for 2 months when I had my another LFT 2 months later, I was that the reading dropped from 76 to 50. It's just amazing...yesterday I did another LFT again... I should get my result in 2 weeks ... I will keep you posted :) Hope this will help you feel better!

I also have been diagnosed with fatty liver. I have never drunk alcohol or coffee, been overweight (until putting on a lot of abdominal fat in the last 6 months), I'm not diabetic, no hepatitis - in fact, a mystery!
When I did some research, I found mention of a link between eclampsia in pregnancy and acute fatty liver in the 3rd trimester. As far as I know I never had fatty liver when I was pregnant, but both my babies were eclamptic pregnancies with an early delivery.
So now I'm curious - could it be that the eclampsia has done something to my liver, resulting in fatty liver developing 7 years later without any other obvious cause?

I'm 19 and have just got results of a blood test which shows that my GGT is 70. I haven't been diagnosed with a fatty liver but I see my doctor on Wednesday. I have never drunk any alcohol, I don't smoke. I've never been pregnant or overweight, I weigh 56kgs and have done most of my teenage life. I have no idea what could cause this, I am a celiac but not diabetic or anything... and I'm slightly freaking out about this possible liver disease... is it easy to treat? Help a young girl out here, and let me know what you can..