I am new to this forum and have joined it in the hope that someone can tell me what pleurisy is. A friend of mine suffered from pleurisy two years ago and it was not treated right. As a result the pleurisy somehow pushed one of her lower ribs out, from the adhesions I think she said, and it stayed there. Now she has really pain lower chest pain.

Pleurisy occurs when the double membrane, called pleura, that lines the chest cavity and surrounds each of your lungs becomes inflamed. The condition typically causes sharp pain, almost always during the act of breathing. When inflamed, the two layers of the pleural membrane in the affected side of the chest rub against each other. They are producing pain when you inhale and exhale, but between breaths, you feel almost no pain. I am sorry, but I think that she needs to seek some help again.

ive been expericing alot of pain through my ribs to my back,any kind of pressure makes it almost unbareable.I have gotten it off and on through the last few years but it seem that its happening more and the pain gets worse.This time my throat and neck hurt too and have been having headaches.What causes pleurisy and is there a cure?I don't smoke,i used to I havent smoke in two years.All I know is that the pain is very intense and it usually hits me at night or early in the morning and I feel like im dying!It scares me,is this life threatning?