I have a granny and I was talking to her a lot lately about her health. I realized that our grandparents found one disease called pleurisy to be an elusive and confusing disease. I see it is misunderstood what often the pain disappeared, even though the doctor told them they still had trouble on the chest. That is why I wanted to ask you what you could tell me about problem called pleurisy. I want to understand it and I want to help my granny to deal with it.

When pleurisy is painful, it cannot be ignored, which I guess your granny experienced. Each movement of the chest wall, disturbing the outer layer of the pleura, is felt so doctor is usually contacted. Each breath taken in during pleurisy induces a stabbing, knifelike pain. With a deep breath or a cough or sneeze, the pain of pleurisy is severe. These symptoms during pleurisy may go on night and day. The pleurisy or inflammation of pleurisy is treated by attacking the infection that may have caused it. A pleurisy caused by some lung disease is treated, by identifying the underlying disease. To limit the pain of pleurisy, limiting the movement of the lungs may be desirable; I guess this might help to your granny. The doctor may suggest lying on the sore side in a special way. For example, your granny could try it on a firm surface to limit breathing movement on that side. It should be done enough to reduce the stretching of the sore tissues and therefore the pain. Doctor might also prescribe medication for the pain caused by pleurisy itself.