I have been feeling some kind of lingering chest pain for a while. Every time I take deep breath it gets worse. I guess that something’s wrong with my lungs. My wife thinks that those are the symptoms of pleurisy, and that I should visit the physician. What causes pleurisy?

One of the characteristic and easy to diagnose types of chest pain is pleurisy. The pain may be lingering as you said or sharp, dull…but it is always connected with breathing movements. The classic cause of pleurisy is pneumonia; there are also various infections of the lung parenchyma, lung abscess also can cause it. Infections like tuberculous pleuritis with effusion or empyema, which are within the pleural space itself, are also causes of pleurisy that is apt to be gradual in onset and lingering. Listen to your wife and go check your self.