Hello. My kid got food poisoning while he was on excursion with his class. I took him to the doctor and he prescribed some antibiotics. The thing that I would like to know is if food poisoning can be deadly. What do you think? I will appreciate all sincere replies. Bye!

Hello, there. It all depends whether there are complications of food poisoning. The main danger is from dehydration. If it isn’t treated right, it can be lethal. There is another food poisoning which is life threatening because of the bacteria that causes it. It is called botulism and the bacterium is called Clostridium botulinum. This bacterium is ubiquitous. People got infected by eating mostly canned food. Symptoms of botulism are very serious. In any case, I suggest contacting a doctor. Good luck!

Hello anatollo, 

Even though there are some cases when food poisoning can be deadly, like botulism or when you ingest some poisonous plant, there still are numerous causes of food poisoning that cause the unpleasant symptoms, but are completely treatable. And I think you did already what was the best, you took your kid to the doctor’s and I’m quite sure that the doctor would not miss the symptoms of far more serious forms of food poisoning.

Most of the cases of food poisoning happen because of the bad hygiene. It’s sometimes enough that only one person doesn’t wash hands and the bacterium that causes food poisoning can get into contact with food. And it’s usually the salmonella or similar bacteria that causes most types of food poisoning.